Fluoxetine/Prozac adjustment

lmdisalle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
Wondering who can share their kitty Fluoxetine/Prozac adjustment stories.
After several years of debate and struggle, we put our 4 year old on it just about 2 months ago. She has always had issues with aggression/anxiety. (We’ve tried literally everything else)
So far I’ve done a good job with trying to overlook the adjustment period/side effects- and her redirected aggression is basically gone. We’ve been so happy with the progress and it gives me hope that she can be around our future children one day.
She has been eating/drinking/peeing normally, but her routine is totally off. She is still somewhat lethargic, and I know it sounds strange, but has not purred for us in a while.
Can anyone else share how long it took their kitty to adjust?
Please no negative comments. I am doing what is best for my family/cat and have been working very closely with my vet. Prozac was my vets recommendation for a while and I have been hesitant to try it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may take a little longer for her to adjust. It takes at least two months for a human to adjust, so I would bet it is the same for a cat. The body gets 'used' to depressants over time, it builds up a tolerance. So it is important to watch for escalating behaviors to adjust dosage down the road. You said you had several years of struggling with her behavior, just like humans again, cats have different personalities and temperaments that mean they have a lower tolerance to change and situations that may not bother another cat at all will set them off and bring on redirected aggression. My Chrissy had a low stimulation threshold and anything over two strokes/pets set her off into a frenzy of scratching and biting whoever was near. Once I learned this limit it was much easier to manage. But she could not be trusted around small children. Perhaps something like Prozac would have been better.
My hat is off to you, by trying an antidepressant with your little one you are reducing her anxiety and thus reducing the incidents of redirected aggression. In time, this may be the 'cure' for her anxiety/aggression. There are many vets out there now that prescribe this, so it is a time tested prescription now for cats. In the 'old days' a cat would have been tossed out on the streets or put down, so your willingness to try something different will make your situation much more tolerable, and may be the answer you are looking for. Please keep in touch and tell us how she is doing, especially in time, like 6 months from now. At the very least you know in your heart that you have done all you could, and going this route is making all your lives easier. I wish you all well and pray she will adjust to her meds and be the cat you always wanted and thought she could be......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmdisalle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It may take a little longer for her to adjust. It takes at least two months for a human to adjust, so I would bet it is the same for a cat. The body gets 'used' to depressants over time, it builds up a tolerance. So it is important to watch for escalating behaviors to adjust dosage down the road. You said you had several years of struggling with her behavior, just like humans again, cats have different personalities and temperaments that mean they have a lower tolerance to change and situations that may not bother another cat at all will set them off and bring on redirected aggression. My Chrissy had a low stimulation threshold and anything over two strokes/pets set her off into a frenzy of scratching and biting whoever was near. Once I learned this limit it was much easier to manage. But she could not be trusted around small children. Perhaps something like Prozac would have been better.
My hat is off to you, by trying an antidepressant with your little one you are reducing her anxiety and thus reducing the incidents of redirected aggression. In time, this may be the 'cure' for her anxiety/aggression. There are many vets out there now that prescribe this, so it is a time tested prescription now for cats. In the 'old days' a cat would have been tossed out on the streets or put down, so your willingness to try something different will make your situation much more tolerable, and may be the answer you are looking for. Please keep in touch and tell us how she is doing, especially in time, like 6 months from now. At the very least you know in your heart that you have done all you could, and going this route is making all your lives easier. I wish you all well and pray she will adjust to her meds and be the cat you always wanted and thought she could be......
Your kind words mean more than you will know!! It has been a great source of anxiety for me, and I tend to over analyze her actions as well. I just had to adjust her dose, so we will continue to be patient and pray for the best.