Fluke Worm - Advice

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm having a parasite problem. Both of my cats have tested positive for Fluke Worms.

I'm a raw feeder & I'm pretty sure the parasite came from a batch of lamb brains that I ordered from Raw Feeding Miami. I'll never know for sure but that's my gut feeling. To be on the safe side, I have thrown out all of the homemade food in my freezer & have only been feeding commercial raw (Rad Cat, Oma's Purr, Answers Pet Food).

My vet said this specific parasite is tricky to get rid of. The sequence of events is as follows:

7/14 - Kali had loose, smelly stool which turned into full-blown diarrhea within a few days
7/17 - Vet found Fluke worm in stool sample, had me administer PANACUR for her & my kitten Odrick for 3 days (7/17-7/19) and again two weeks later (8/2-8/4). After the first round of medication, Kali's stool went right back to normal for several weeks.
7/18 - Odrick had not been showing symptoms until I started to worm him. His stool is now very smelly & loose as of 7/18
8/2-8/4 - Both cats had a second round of PANACUR during this time. Kali's stools are still normal but Odrick's are loose & horrid smelling
8/10 - Vet finds a Fluke Worm in Odrick's stool. He still has the parasite. We try a different wormer called Droncit (praziquantel). Both cats get 1 tablet on the evening of 8/10 with instructions to give a second tablet in two weeks
8/11 - Both cats have loose, horrendous smelling stool on the evening of 8/11. Kali's stool WAS fine for several weeks but now her stool is concerning again.

Of course, I'll be contacting my vet in the morning (she's closed today). I don't know if we're just not giving a strong enough dose or if the type of wormer is not right? Does anyone have experience with Fluke Worms? I've searched the forum & found another member who had some good information but I'm checking in with active members to see if you guys have any thoughts that I could share with my vet so we can nip this in the bud. I'm terrified of these parasites causing long term damage.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Would there be any value in contacting a university veterinarian medical department?
Hang in there!! I'm sending tons of good, healing thoughts!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In THIS thread, starting with post #8, there is some pretty good info on Fluke Worms: New Rescue kittens

Keep us posted. I have heard they are not the easiest thing to get rid of. But perservence and the right medication should pay off. If your Vet isn't too familiar with treating Fluke Worms, then maybe they could at least consult with a teaching university for advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Yes, I saw that thread and we have given the two medications recommended for Flukes. That thread is the reason that I'm concerned that we might not be giving a strong enough dose.

Neither cat has gone #2 since their loose stools on Saturday night so I'm waiting to see if they still have loose, smelly stool before I contact the vet again about a game plan. I just gave them the dose of Praziquantel on Friday.

I've never left a thread open & unresolved so you can count on me to update here for future cats in need of Fluke treatment :)