Fluid in Lungs!!!

distract_a_girl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my first time in the forum, and I hate for it to be under these circumstances. After much thought, consideration, research, and investment, my husband and I adopted a cat from a cat rescue. He had been health checked, neutered, and given his first set of vaccines. He is about 5 months old. Tues night we noticed our new kitty was having trouble breathing -- he was breathing so hard that he was using his whole body to breathe. He wouldn't let me pick him to listen to him. I could tell he must be hurting. I laid down on the floor next to him and let him come to me so I could listen to his breathing. He nuzzled against me, happily purring, then I heard him gasp.... purrrrr... gasp.... There was no coughing or sneezing, though. We took him into the vet first thing Weds morning. The vet took an x-ray and found lots of fluid in and around his lungs. They sent out for testing the fluid and some blood. The vet was worried it's FIP, Feline Infectious Peritonitis. Of course, I'm flipping out! This is my first cat (though my husband was raised with cats). They put our kitty in an oxygen cage, and he was happy to have that! The first night they pulled about 5 tsp. of liquid out of his lungs to help him breathe. The next day, a little over 2 ounces out. Today, he was breathing better and they took him off the oxygen for about 6 hours to see how he'd manage. He did ok; he ate and groomed and went to the bathroom normally. The test results are basically this: 1) the fluid in the lungs looks like either FIP or a cardio-vascular problem, 2) his blood came back positive for corrona virus, though not at extremely high levels, 3) the protiens in his blood are normal. The vet has told me that she is pretty much convinced it's FIP. From everything I've read and everyone I've talked to, FIP is fairly uncommon. We plan on bringing him home tomorrow and keeping up a regimin of anti-biotics and closely moniter his breathing and health. We're so worried though. Has anyone come across anything like this or had a similar problem? I'm just so worried about my kitty!

delilah_blue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid I don't have any knowledge to share with you about FIP, but I said a prayer for your kitty. I'm sure you are just beside yourselves with worry! I hope he gets better soon.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a lot of information online about FIP. You may, or may not, want to know about it by googling it.
I'm sorry for you and your poor little cat. I wish there was something more I could say.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad you took your little one to the vet and got him checked out. Kudos to you and your DH for adopting this little guy and for committing to take care of him whatever his diagnosis.

I found this online for you http://www.marvistavet.com/html/fip.html . If you search here on the forum for FIP, you'll probably get lots more information, too.

Keep us posted on your baby's progress.

Stephanie

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
and prayers for your baby. He is lucky to have you. Please keep us posted.

Ps, Welcome
to TCS!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fingers crossed it isn't FIP, it is an awful disease. It certainly isn't a common illness, but I have heard of a few cases this year, which is sad.

leslie10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do cat rescue in the state of Montana. This has been a horrible year for FIP in our area. I have been hit with it 3 times and unfortunately there is no good outcome with FIP. My Vet has explained to me how the corona virus works. Most kittens are exposed to the corona's virus. Most will sluff off the virus however those that can not the virus manifests itself into FIP. There are two forms; a wet and a dry. You can research this on line extensively. All 3 of mine that have passed exhibited signs of an upper respiratory infection and the stomach's become very bloated. The other eats at the kitten and they waste away including going blind etc...It is a HORRIBLE disease with not alot known about it. A test can be done which shows the possibility of the disease but it is not fully diagnosed until the animal has passed. On my kittens they did a necropsy and confirmed the disease. I have done kitten rescue for the last 5 years and this year we have lost a large number of kittens to FIP, upper respiratory and a portal hepatic shunt. We lost 9 animals in 3 weeks. I am no longer going to do kitten rescue once I get all of the 20+ kittens into their own homes/new families. I pray that your kitten does not have this. My only word of advice is not to let him suffer. If the Vet has confirmed FIP and he continues to fail (which will happen fairly rapidly)please ask your Vet to help him pass. It's a very hard decision but there is no cure for FIP. My prayers are with you. Les

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

distract_a_girl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, we brought Trip home with us last night. The little guy's test results do not look promising. But we're willing to try. And Trip is willing try.

Here's the details:

First, his lung fluid test came back looking like either fluid due to cardiovascular disease or FIP.

Second, his blood test for coronna virus came back positive, but not extremely high levels. So, yes, he has a coronna virus, but there are many types of coronna viruses.

Third, his blood protien levels are normal.

Fourth, the fluid in his lungs continues to increase. The first night they pulled 50 cc out, third night, 70 cc (aprox. 2 oz), and last night, over 90 cc. The fluid is in and around his lungs. The around his lungs is what's concerning the vet. It's actually crushing his lungs and causing his difficulty breathing. After pulling the 90 cc out last night, one lung fully reinflated, however the other did not.

There is no absolute test for FIP while the cat is alive. However, by adding all of this evidence up, the vet has come to the conclusion that he most likely has FIP. It's the fluid around his lungs that has especially drawn them to this conclusion. The vet said that in her 11 years of practice, she has only seen the wet form of FIP once, and unfortunately, it looked a lot like what little Trip has.

Based on the vet's call to me yesterday, telling me his breathing was more labored, he had more fluid in his lungs, and he wasn't eating, and that we should come in, I was expecting to see a lump of a kitty and was preparing myself to let the vets euthenize him. But as soon as they brought him in and lifted the lid off his oxygen cage, he saw us and started purring. Soon, he started eating, which he hadn't done all day at the vet's! He was breathing so hard though, each breath labored, and painful to watch. The vet pulled the 90 cc of liquid out of his chest and we took him home. He is currently happy and comfortable. He's been grooming himself, eating like a little piggie, and even playing! We have him quardoned off in the bathroom and hallway so he doesn't go running all around and over-exerting himself. Last night Rob and I spent our evening in the hall with him. He nuzzled up against us, purring, batted at the pages of our books, and enjoyed little head scritches. This morning when I opened the bedroom door, he came bounding over to me. He is giving me such hope! His breathing is still labored, though. We're still hoping it's pneumonia. We're hoping the vet is wrong. We're hoping the antibiotics will clear this all up and he'll go on to live a long life with us. He has charmed his way into our lives and we love him so! Even with all our hope, we still realize that if this is FIP he will, in all likelihood, not make it. We don't want him suffer. He is doing well now and we are keeping an eye on him and enjoying every minute spent with him!

charh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Distract_A_Girl:

I'm new to this board I found it while doing a search for FIP.

I'm going through the same thing with my 4 year old kitty that you are going through. It just came out of the blue. I refuse to believe that she has FIP. I've never heard of this disease before. But all signs according to our vet point to this awful disease including the fluid they extracted from her lungs. I don't understand because our kitties have the very best of everything (we have 2) and they have been with us for almost 4 years. My home is clean, they are very well fed, litter box is always clean, they visit the vet for required shots, they are loved beyond belief and have toys and sleep in our bed...I think you get my point. We take better care of our animals than most people take care of thier children. My husband and I are both devistated. We got both of our cats at the same time they were in the same cage at the pet store for goodness sakes. They came from a no kill shelter. Anyway, I'm so hoping that things work out for you. I pray and cry every day that our vet is wrong I can't stop crying.

Please update me on how things are going with your little baby.

sphynxmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found this information:

DFS7 Wednesday October 25, 2006
Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP)
Holly Nash, DVM, MS
Veterinary Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

What is FIP?
FIP is a viral disease of cats that can affect many systems of the body. It is a progressive disease and almost always fatal. It is found worldwide and affects not only domestic cats, but many wild ones as well, including cougars, bobcats, lynx, lions, and cheetahs.
What causes FIP?

FIP is caused by a virus. Cats can be infected with feline coronavirus (FCoV). There are two types of this virus which cannot be distinguished from each other in laboratory tests. One is avirulent (does not cause disease) or only mildly virulent and is called feline enteric coronavirus (FECV). Infection with this virus does not produce any signs other than maybe a very mild diarrhea. The other type is virulent (produces disease), is the cause of FIP, and is called feline infectious peritonitis virus (FIPV). It is believed that FIP occurs when FECV mutates to FIPV in the cat and starts to replicate in the cat's cells. What causes this mutation is unknown.

How common is FCoV infection and the development of FIP in cats?

Studies have shown that approximately 25-40% of household cats, and up to 95% of cats in multi-cat households and catteries are or have been infected with FCoV. The development of fatal FIP occurs in 1 in 5000 cats in households with one or two cats. In multi-cat households and catteries 5% of cats die from FIP.

How is the virus transmitted?

Cat-to-cat contact and exposure to feces in litter boxes are the most common modes of infection.
FCoV can be found in the saliva and feces of infected cats. Therefore, cat-to-cat contact and exposure to feces in litter boxes are the most common modes of infection. Contaminated food or water dishes, bedding, and personal clothing may also serve as sources of infection.

FCoV may be transmitted across the placenta. The significance of this is unknown.

FCoV can live in the environment 3-7 weeks. After 3 weeks, however, the number of virus particles present is probably too small to cause infection. Most household disinfectants will kill the virus.

How does the virus cause disease?

When a cat is exposed to FCoV, four things can happen, depending on a number of factors including age, health status, and strength of the cat's cellular immune system. The strain and dose of the virus can also influence the outcome.

Mammals' immune systems can be divided into two parts: the antibody-producing part, and the part in which cells kill invaders through direct contact or chemicals they produce. It is this second part of the immune system, the cellular immune system which plays a very important role in determining the result of exposure to FCoV.

If a cat's cellular immunity is very strong, the cat can usually fight off the infection.

If a cat's cellular immunity is moderately strong, the cat may be unable to kill all the virus, but is able to keep it in check. This results in a "latent" infection. If the cat is severely stressed or becomes ill from other diseases, the latent infection can be reactivated and the cat can develop FIP.

If a cat's cellular immunity is relatively weak, the virus continues to multiply slowly, FIPV becomes the predominant virus and FIP develops. In this form of disease, called "dry FIP" nodular lesions called granulomas slowly develop in one or multiple places in the body.

If the cellular immune system is very weak, the virus can multiply virtually uncontrolled. A "wet" form of FIP develops. In this form, large amounts of fluid accumulate in the chest and abdomen due to damage to blood vessels and subsequent leaking of fluid and protein into the surrounding tissues.

The damage to the body from FIPV is not so much due to the virus itself, but to the body's response to it. Complexes of FIPV and antibodies the cat produces against it are deposited on the walls of blood vessels. Macrophages, which are cells that eat cellular debris and foreign material, consume the virus and the virus replicates inside these cells. These macrophages are also deposited along blood vessels and in tissues. When they accumulate in large numbers they can form granulomas.

Which cats are more likely to develop FIP?

As you would imagine, the cats most likely to develop FIP are those with the weakest immune systems. This includes kittens, cats infected with feline leukemia virus (FeLV), and geriatric cats.

The largest number of FIP cases occurs in young cats. Kittens are often infected when they are 4 to 6 weeks old, when the antibody protection they received from their mothers through the milk is declining. Kittens usually start showing signs of FIP when they are between 3 months and 2 years of age. Most of the kittens with FIP die between 8 and 18 months of age.

When infections with feline leukemia virus (FeLV) were more common, infections with FeLV and FIPV were often seen together because FeLV suppressed the immune system. Now that FeLV is less common only 5% of cats with FIP are also infected with FeLV.

We rarely see FIP in cats between 3 and 10 years of age. However, starting at 10-12 years of age, the immune systems of these older cats apparently decline, making them more susceptible.

FIP has been shown to be more common in certain breeds and lines. It appears to be more common in Persians, for example. It is unclear whether these breeds are more susceptible because of their genetics or whether they are exposed to FCoV more often since many of them live or come from catteries.

What are the clinical signs of disease?

Although we separate FIP into 2 forms, wet and dry, there is really a gradient between the two forms, and we may often see signs of both forms.

Dry or Noneffusive Form: Dry FIP occurs in approximately ¼ of the cats with FIP. Generally, the signs of the dry form come on more slowly. Nonspecific signs such as chronic weight loss, fever, loss of appetite and lethargy appear. Other signs occur depending on which organs are damaged by the granulomas. Ten to twenty-five percent of cats will have neurological signs. When granulomas occur in the central nervous system we see paralysis, disorientation, loss of balance, tremors, convulsions, behavior changes and urinary incontinence. The liver and kidneys are often affected, and this is reflected in chemistry tests that evaluate these two organs. Granulomas can occur in the chest, as well. Sometimes the eye is the only organ affected. The pupil may appear irregular and the eye may appear discolored because of the inflammation that is present. Some cats with the dry form can live up to a year after first showing clinical signs.

Wet or Effusive Form: Early in the disease we can see similar signs to the dry form including weight loss, fever, loss of appetite, and lethargy. Anemia with resultant pale mucous membranes (e.g., gums) is often seen. Constipation and diarrhea can also occur. The wet form of the disease progresses rapidly and soon the cat may appear pot-bellied in appearance because of the fluid accumulation in the abdomen. Generally, the cat shows no signs of abdominal pain. Fluid may also accumulate in the chest causing respiratory difficulties. Most cats with the wet form of FIP die within 2 months of showing signs of disease.

What are the laboratory findings in FIP?

Chemistry Panels: Chemistry panels are used to assess the function of the liver and kidneys. If the kidney is involved, or the cat is dehydrated, we can see elevations in creatinine and BUN. These compounds are eliminated from the body by the kidneys. If they are elevated, the kidneys are not adequately filtering the blood. Liver enzymes including alanine transaminase and alkaline phosphatase are elevated when liver damage has occurred, and bilirubin will increase if the liver is not functioning normally.

One of the most common abnormalities is an increase in serum protein to levels over 7.8 g/dl. Most of the increase is caused by elevations in certain proteins called globulins (the other major serum protein is albumin). Spinal fluid also has an elevated protein level.

The abdominal fluid in cats with wet FIP is high in protein (5-12g/dl), yellow, viscous, froths when shaken, and may clot when exposed to air.

Complete Blood Count: A complete blood count may help to support a diagnosis of FIP. Many cats will have a mild to moderate anemia. Initially, the white blood cell count is low, but increases later in the disease. The increase is due to an increase in the type of white blood cells called neutrophils. These are scavenger-type cells. There is actually a decrease in the type of blood cells called lymphocytes. This can be important in determining the diagnosis.

FIP Testing: A test that detects antibody to FCoV is available. This test can NOT differentiate between FECV and FIPV. The test result is reported as a "titer." A titer of 1:100 means we still get a positive reaction after diluting the serum sample 1:100. It has been found that a high titer alone does not mean a cat has FIP. A high titer could mean:

The cat was exposed to FCoV (either FECV or FIPV) and has eliminated the virus
The cat was exposed to FCoV and is a carrier
The cat was recently vaccinated against FIP
The cat was exposed to FCoV and has developed FIP
A negative test could mean:

The cat has not been exposed to FECV or FIPV
The cat is infected with FIPV but is so early in the disease process antibody is not yet detectable
The cat is infected with FIPV but can no longer make antibody
The cat is infected with FIPV but all the antibody that is made is bound in complexes to FIPV and is not detected by the test
The test was not sensitive enough to detect the antibody present
How is FIP diagnosed?

Because we can not rely totally on the antibody test for a diagnosis, we must combine the history, clinical signs, laboratory results, FCoV test result, and possibly radiographs to come to a "probable" diagnosis. The only way to be absolutely sure of an FIPV infection is to biopsy affected tissues and have them examined by a veterinarian pathologist. As a result, most often the diagnosis is made after the cat has died, a postmortem examination has been performed and tissues have been examined.

In an attempt to try to make the best diagnosis we can while the cat is still alive, we can follow these criteria for a cat with clinical signs of FIP:

The cat has a low number of lymphocytes: 1.5x103 cells/µl.
The cat has a positive FCoV test result (titer > 1:160).
The cat has elevated globulins in his blood > 5.1 gm/dl.
If the cat meets all three criteria, the probability the cat has FIP is 88.9%. If the cat does NOT meet all three criteria, the probability the cat does NOT have FIP is 98.8%.

In those cats who have fluid in the thorax or abdomen that can be analyzed:

If the gamma globulin fraction in the fluid is greater than 32%, the chances that the cat has FIP are almost 100%.
If the albumin fraction is greater than 48% or the ratio of albumin to globulin is greater than 0.81, it is almost 100% certain that the cat does NOT have FIP.
From this discussion, you can see that a certain diagnosis of FIP is not made very easily. Remember, the "gold standard" for diagnosis of FIP is through microscopic examinations of biopsies (a procedure called histopathology).

How is FIP treated?

There is no cure for FIP.
There is no cure for FIP. A survivor of FIP is very rare. We can give the cat supportive care which will make her more comfortable and possibly extend her life for a short amount of time. Because the dry form of FIP progresses more slowly, cats with this form can sometimes live longer than those with the wet form. This is especially true if the eye is the only organ affected by granulomas. Cats who have an appetite, no neurological signs, and no anemia usually respond better to the supportive care.

Supportive care includes:

Periodic draining of abdominal or thoracic (chest) fluid in those with the wet form. If the fluid is drained too often, the cat loses large amounts of protein which can exacerbate the condition.
Fluid therapy
Quality nutrition
Antibiotics for secondary bacterial infections
Blood transfusions in cases of severe anemia
Cats with FIP are often treated with prednisone at an immunosuppressive dose of 2-4 mg/kg daily to decrease the virus-antibody complexes in the blood vessels. In cats with eye involvement, ophthalmic solutions containing corticosteroids, and injections of steroids into the inner side of the eyelid (conjunctival sac) can be used.

Research is ongoing to find other immunosuppressive drugs that may slow down the course of the disease. Attempts are also being made to find antiviral drugs that will kill or slow down the replication of the virus.

How is FIP prevented and controlled?

Managing a Cattery or Multi-cat Household:

Litter boxes should be kept clean and located away from food and water dishes. The litter should be cleaned of feces daily and totally removed at least once weekly when the box is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected.
Cats should be divided into families with 4-5 cats per group and kept separate from each other. These groups should also be divided according to age, with cats less than 4 months old separated from older cats.
Newly acquired cats and any cats that are suspected of being infected should be separated from the other cats.
Caretakers of the cats must use extreme care to make sure they are not bringing contaminated clothing, dishes, or other articles from one area to another. In general, kittens should be cared for first, and any suspect animals cared for last to minimize possible transmission to those most susceptible.
Eliminating FeLV from all cats is important.
Using the FIP test to identify potential carriers or immune animals is NOT possible.
Managing Litters:

Pregnant and nursing queens should be kept separate from all other cats in the cattery (only one litter per room).
If the queen is suspected of being a carrier, kittens should be weaned and removed from the queen at 4-6 weeks. They should also be kept separate from other cats in the cattery.
Queens who repeatedly produce litters of kittens which eventually die of FIP should be removed from a breeding cattery.
Vaccination:

The vaccine available to protect against FIP (Primucell) is licensed for use in cats over 16 weeks of age. It has been found to be safe and approximately 50-75% effective. It is administered intranasally.

Cats in households or catteries with confirmed or suspected cases of FIP should be vaccinated.
Initially, cats should receive two vaccinations 3-4 weeks apart.
Administering the vaccine to kittens less than 16 weeks is not an approved use of the vaccine. Theoretically, early vaccination of kittens would be beneficial in humane shelters, and in catteries which have experienced loss of 6-16 week old kittens to FIP.
References and Further Reading

American Association of Feline Practitioners and Academy of Feline Medicine Advisory panel on Feline Vaccines. 1998 report of the American Association of Feline Practitioners and Academy of Feline Medicine Advisory panel on Feline Vaccines. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 1998;212(2):227-241.

Barr, MC; Olsen, CW; Scott, FW. Feline viral diseases. In Ettinger, SJ; Feldman EC (eds.): Textbook of Veterinary Medicine. W.B. Saunders Co. Philadelphia, PA; 1995;409-435.

Brunt, JE; Hoskins, JD; Lutz, H; Norsworthy, GD. Feline infectious peritonitis. Supplement to the Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian. 1995;4-16.

Evermann, JF; Henry, CJ; Marks, SL. Feline infectious peritonitis. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 1995;206(8):1130-1134.

Fehr, D; Holznagel, E; Bolla, S; et. Al. Placebo-controlled evaluation of a modified live virus vaccine against feline infectious peritonitis: Safety and efficacy under field conditions. Vaccine. 1997;15(10):1101-1109.

Scott, FW. Feline infectious peritonitis. In Tilley, LP; Smith, FWK (eds.) The 5 Minute Veterinary Consult. Williams and Wilkins. Baltimore, MD; 1997;586-7.

Hoskins, JD. Update on Feline coronavirus disease. In August, JR (ed.) Consultations in Feline Internal Medicine. W.B. Saunders Co. Philadelphia, PA; 1997;44-50.

McReynolds, C; Macy, D. Feline infectious peritonitis. Part I. Etiology and Diagnosis. Compendium of Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian. 1997;19(9):1007-1016.

Pedersen, NC; Addie, D; Wolf, A. Recommendations from working groups of the International Feline Enteric Coronavirus and Feline Infectious Peritonitis Workshop. Feline Practice. 1995;23(3):108-111.

Sherding, RG. Feline infectious peritonitis. In Birchard, SJ; Sherding, RG (eds.) Saunders Manual of Small Animal Practice. W.B. Saunders Co. Philadelphia, PA; 1994;94-99.

Stoddart, ME; Bennett, M. Feline coronavirus infection. In Chandler, EA; Gaskell, CJ; Gaskell, RM (eds.) Feline Medicine and Therapeutics. Blackwell Scientific Publications. 1994;506-514.

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm praying for you, as my Freckles was put down yesterday. It was most likely either FIP or cancer. He had the same symptoms, and the vet took 8oz of fluid off of him and had him in oxygen when I brought him in with the symptoms. It was only 3-1/2 weeks from the onset of symptoms to the end. I agree with leslie10 - don't let him suffer for it won't get better. Freckles refused to eat for the last 3-4 days of his life, and in retrospect I should have taken him in a few days earlier. He looked like a walking ghost yesterday.

I don't know why it happened - my cats are indoor cats, UTD on their shots and eat high quality food. Much like cancer in humans sometimes it hits even if you're doing all the right things to keep healthy.

johnnyderma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
6-8 weeks recovery for my kitten. FIP is rare. My kitten had fluid in lungs, probably pneumonia, she was sick for for 6-8 weeks. even with antibiotics(clindamycin) and steroids. give kitty a chance to get better. also, you may need to sleep with kitten and hold him up right as mine couldn't breath when lying on her side and I kept her up right when she was in position she couldn't breathe. the terrible noises she made when trying to breathe. definitely go to vet and get meds which will significantly broaden chances. A LOT OF FALSE INFO ON FIP JUST BECAUSE IT HAS A BREATHING PROBLEM DOES NOT MEAN FIP AS SHOWN SO OFTEN ON INTERNET BY UNEDUCASTED PEOPLE.

kitkat815

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A lot of accurate info has been provided to you. I want to preface my post by stating that I just lost my baby to FIP January 30th. My other love bug is currently fighting it, and today will be the day she crosses the rainbow bridge to join her sister. Considering the fluid build-up IF your baby has FIP, it's the wet form. The wet form progresses quickly and aggressively. Both of my babies have been affected by the wet form. In order to come to this conclusion we found both of them had fevers for multiple days (105+), fluid in the abdomen (which was tested to rule out other conditions such as bacterial or fungal), high coronavirus titers, lethargy, and lack of interest in food and water. My darling Sophie is currently receiving subcutaneous fluids weekly, steroid injections, and an immunostimulant (which mainly works on dry form, which she started with). Although I wished to believe that she could be that one miraculous story of living many many years with FIP, in both cases, this disease has only progressed and decreases quality of life. Shansa was in ICU and received intense treatment, and for a few hours after she was back to her old energetic self, and I thought she would make it. That was not the case. Although this is only a personal story, I hope it gives you insight into a very current case of this awful, awful disease.
I truly hope your baby has something treatable. My prayers and thoughts go out to your Trip.