Fluid In Abdomen, High Wbc, Protein In Urine....

stacy_s

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again everyone. Another one of my cats (14 y.o.) is very ill and I would like to get some help if possible. I noticed she was not eating much then gradually her belly appeared distended. A week ago, the vet did xrays and found she had fluid in her abdomen. She was dehydrated also. Her bloodwork came back ok except for high wbc. They drained her abdomen at that time. The vet doesn't know the cause of the fluid buildup. Her heart sounded fine and looked fine on xray. I tested her urine at home and it was very high in protein. I'm suspecting proteinuria since she seems to fit the profile. She was given Clindamycin, which cause her to vomit. The vet switched her to Baytril. I took her again to the vet on Monday and they told me to give her 100 ml subq at home every other day. So I have two questions:
1. If a cat has fluid in their abdomen from proteinuria, or other issues, is it ok to give 100ml subq every other day since the cat is dehydrated?

2. Would Baytril cause my cat to walk drunk, lose their appetite and be lethargic? (This is what happened to her pretty quickly after giving her this medication)

Thank you again for your help, I am trying my very best not to lose another cat. :(

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Those side effects can indeed by from the Baytril, and you should contact your Vet immediately because of them, particularly the "walking drunk". Sounds like she needs yet a different antibiotic.

As to whether or not she should be given sub-qs with proteinuria, this is a question for your Vet also.

Did they test the abdominal fluid?

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacy_s

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for replying. :) I just got back from the vet because her stomach filled again. This time I requested the fluid to be sent out. I'm not sure why they didn't ask me the first time but this was another vet that saw her today. This vet gave me Furosemide and Enalapril. I requested heart medication, I figured I have nothing left to lose at this point. Her daughter died of complications from a saddle thrombus so I thought maybe there could be a hereditary heart issue. Also, she filled up faster the past three days than she did last week, this was after the subq, which would make me think it's her heart. I have no answers and that is the worst part. I should know something by early next week and then go from there. I totally forgot to ask about the Baytril though, darn, I'll call tomorrow. Thank you again!