Flu Shots - Do You Get One Yearly?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the 65+ vaccine, starting last winter. For some reason my arm was a good deal more sore last year than this year. :dunno:

Also, I found out something interesting last year. At the time I didn't have any insurance (eligible for Medicare, but hadn't gotten it set up yet), so I went looking for the cheapest vaccinations available. In my area (metropolitan Denver) it turned out that the cheapest source was CostCo, and they had the most effective version of the vaccine! This year I got my shots at CVS, which is currently my regular pharmacy, and paid nothing for them; my insurance covered both of them with no copay at all. And I had no trouble finding thimerosal-free vaccines; I just told them I avoid thimerosal and they said it was no problem; their vaccines don't contain it.

Margret

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Costco is pretty amazing!

That article said that the single-dose vaccine is the only one without thimerosal, and that stores and pharmacies are more likely to use the single-dose vaccine than doctors are. So I guess that works out.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Up to 2010 I had flu vaccinations every year for more years than I can remember. I had tremendously bad flus every one of those years.

I haven't received any vaccination since 2010 and haven't had the flu ever since. This year I had 2 colds which lasted only a week. They were so mild that I didn't even cough. When I mentioned this to my regular medecin,after some hesitation he admitted that HE doesn't ever get vaccinated and that some of his colleagues don't get vaccinated either.

I would like to mention that I eat one orange (amongst other fruits) everyday. Perhaps the Vitamin C in the oranges has something to do with it?

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a teenager,my Dad brought home the Hong Kong flu to both myself and my mother.Talk about so sick!The year the of the challenger disaster,my husband and I both were down with the flu and I vowed right then...never again.Both of us get a flu shot each year,and this year we both got the senior shot with no side effects at all.We're both up to date on tetanus,pneumonia,etc.I have copd and he's diabetic and I just really don't want to take any chances.