Flovent Inhaler

HeatherG86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. So I have a hot mess of a kitty. One of her issues currently is severe asthma. She started the Flovent inhaler 1 puff twice a day. We have already noticed improvement of her breathing. But I have noticed possible side effects. She has had some stuffy nose issues off and on. Her nose seems more dry. And today she had a light nose bleed. It wasnt a solid red more of a mucus mixture. I read that flovent can cause these specific side effects. Have any of you expierenced these issues or other side effects?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:blush: Glad I can be of help :)

I no longer post on the FDMB so you won't see me around but I do lurk on occasion. I haven't seen your threads there yet but will do so.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. So I have a hot mess of a kitty. One of her issues currently is severe asthma. She started the Flovent inhaler 1 puff twice a day. We have already noticed improvement of her breathing. But I have noticed possible side effects. She has had some stuffy nose issues off and on. Her nose seems more dry. And today she had a light nose bleed. It wasnt a solid red more of a mucus mixture. I read that flovent can cause these specific side effects. Have any of you expierenced these issues or other side effects?
Hi HeatherG86! How many inhalations did your vet prescribe, per each puff?
(You don't have to reply, of course, if you've already gotten answers at the feline asthma site and this thread is moot! :vibes: )
:hugs:

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What strength is the flovent inhaler? There are three different ones for human use, and a lot of medications for pets and humans are interchangable. The lowest dose for a human, that I know of, is the 44 mcgs per puff. I'm not sure if there are lower doses perscribed specifically for pets that I wouldn't know about (I'm a pharmacy tech) but if there's a lower dose availible, you may want to consult your vet and try that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HeatherG86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What strength is the flovent inhaler? There are three different ones for human use, and a lot of medications for pets and humans are interchangable. The lowest dose for a human, that I know of, is the 44 mcgs per puff. I'm not sure if there are lower doses perscribed specifically for pets that I wouldn't know about (I'm a pharmacy tech) but if there's a lower dose availible, you may want to consult your vet and try that.
She is on 110mcg 1 puff twice daily

HeatherG86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi HeatherG86! How many inhalations did your vet prescribe, per each puff?
(You don't have to reply, of course, if you've already gotten answers at the feline asthma site and this thread is moot! :vibes: )
:hugs:
she is 1 puff twice daily 110 mcg

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she is 1 puff twice daily 110 mcg
Yes, I got that - but how many inhales did the vet prescribe for her to breathe in the Flovent medicine? Do you use an Areokat spacer along with the inhaler canister?

My cat was instructed to breathe in 7-11 times via the areokat/Flovent combo, like yours -- with the one puff (or actuation or pump) of the inhaler. I usually have her inhale 5-8 times though, as we also use a bit of Pred at a different time of day (the vet is working with us to "customize" her approach to her asthma).

Last edited:

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If all else fails, it might even be an option to try lowering the dose a bit, and see if it lessons the side-effects. Maybe two puffs of the 44 mcg? I'm not a vet, so I can't dose it, obviously, but it's something to ask about.

HeatherG86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I got that - but how many inhales did the vet prescribe for her to breathe in the Flovent medicine? Do you use an Areokat spacer along with the inhaler canister?

My cat was instructed to breathe in 7-11 times via the areokat/Flovent combo, like yours -- with the one puff (or actuation or pump) of the inhaler. I usually have her inhale 5-8 times though, as we also use a bit of Pred at a different time of day (the vet is working with is to "customize" her approach to her asthma).
She is doing 10 inhales with a aerocat

HeatherG86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If all else fails, it might even be an option to try lowering the dose a bit, and see if it lessons the side-effects. Maybe two puffs of the 44 mcg? I'm not a vet, so I can't dose it, obviously, but it's something to ask about.
Ok I will talk to my vet on Monday when the office is open about the blood mucus and see if he wants her to do less inhales.