Flovent/fluticasone

princecappy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am new here and have an almost 2 year old kitty (Prince) diagnosed with asthma. The vet prescribed Fluticasone (Flovent) 220mcg and it is WAYYYYYYYY expensive - over $500. Sadly, we cannot swing this. If anyone has info or help getting him his script but less expensively that would be great.

Another odd thing about this asthma..........since we got him a fountain to drink from he LOVES it - drinks from it like crazy. But then he would do the coughing thing after he drank. That was the only time. Then, the Christmas tree arrived in our home. He started coughing when he wasn't drinking from the fountain then. On December 26 the tree was gone and I had replaced the fountain with another type that he doesn't have to stretch his neck up to drink from. Since then he's been to the vet and emergency vet once each. He's due back on 1/26/19. Has anyone had a cat cough after drinking from a fountain and may this have somehow caused this bronchial issue???
Thank you so much

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi there, pharmacy tech here.

Unfortunately, inhalers are crazy expensive. :/

I asked my favorite boss (pharmacist) about possibly suggesting over the counter fluticasone spray for your kitty, even tho it's a lower dose. He said that won't work because..... "Problem with the OTC spray is that it isn't aerosolized to get into the lungs. It just gets on the mucus membranes of the nose. Good thought though."

Ha, I tried. That's why I make a little over minimum wage and he makes the big bucks. ;)

But one thing I know for sure you can do is call around alllll the pharmacies in your area and ask them the price of the inhaler, and make sure that they fill pet scripts (some chains don't). That will give you a starting point. THEN when you find the cheapest one, give them the script and ask if they have discount cards they can apply on it. Unfortunately we (pharmacies) can't give the actual price w/ discount card until we have an actual script to play around with.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can buy this medicine 10 times cheaper from the pharmacies located overseas if you want to take this risk. I am in the process of receiving it from one of them therefore too early to recommend, but I suggest you google "feline asthma support group" and on them you will find the links directly to the shops.

I have no insight into the fountain and if it may have caused the coughing, but as for Christmas tree, it doesn't really surprise me as some coniferous trees are strong allergens. To relieve the symptoms of my kitty, I have removed from my house all strong odors, chemicals, aerosols, changed all cosmetics into fragrance free, changed her litter to dust free etc.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello! I am new here and have an almost 2 year old kitty (Prince) diagnosed with asthma. The vet prescribed Fluticasone (Flovent) 220mcg and it is WAYYYYYYYY expensive - over $500. Sadly, we cannot swing this. If anyone has info or help getting him his script but less expensively that would be great.

Another odd thing about this asthma..........since we got him a fountain to drink from he LOVES it - drinks from it like crazy. But then he would do the coughing thing after he drank. That was the only time. Then, the Christmas tree arrived in our home. He started coughing when he wasn't drinking from the fountain then. On December 26 the tree was gone and I had replaced the fountain with another type that he doesn't have to stretch his neck up to drink from. Since then he's been to the vet and emergency vet once each. He's due back on 1/26/19. Has anyone had a cat cough after drinking from a fountain and may this have somehow caused this bronchial issue???
Thank you so much
Sorry for your sick kitty. I see overseas pharma. already recommended. I have COPD and buy mine overseas. Many I know with COPD buy Flovent overseas. $59 @ inhousepharmacy.vu . Cheaper if you buy multiple.

Anyone Have Experience With Planetdrugsdirect?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used NorthWestPharmacy.com
They don't process credit cards anymore, but use checks. We got Stew's Flovent from them. I think his fulfillment was from India.
They didn't prescribe him 220, but the 110. After shipping a few years ago it was $60

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Look through this thread for suggestions on best places to buy Flovent from: Flovent prices

InhousePharmacy.vu is a popular place.

You can join this feline asthma board and ask for other suggestions as well as get tips on managing the asthma: felineasthma groups.io Group

I have used Flovent 220 mcg in the past for a cat. It cost about $150 from the vet hospital pharmacy, less than what CVS, Walgreens, etc charge.

Shop around for prices at local pharmacies. This web site is helpful: Prescription Prices, Coupons & Pharmacy Information - GoodRx

You can also use a pet prescription drug card to save a bit of money. There are various ones online that you just print out and show to the pharmacist. I think I used this one in the past: Free Discount Pet Prescription Drug Card Program - Pet Drug Card

If you have AAA service for your car, there is a prescription drug savings program you can sign up for and pet prescriptions bought at a Human pharmacy are included

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

princecappy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Look through this thread for suggestions on best places to buy Flovent from: Flovent prices

InhousePharmacy.vu is a popular place.

You can join this feline asthma board and ask for other suggestions as well as get tips on managing the asthma: felineasthma groups.io Group

I have used Flovent 220 mcg in the past for a cat. It cost about $150 from the vet hospital pharmacy, less than what CVS, Walgreens, etc charge.

Shop around for prices at local pharmacies. This web site is helpful: Prescription Prices, Coupons & Pharmacy Information - GoodRx

You can also use a pet prescription drug card to save a bit of money. There are various ones online that you just print out and show to the pharmacist. I think I used this one in the past: Free Discount Pet Prescription Drug Card Program - Pet Drug Card

If you have AAA service for your car, there is a prescription drug savings program you can sign up for and pet prescriptions bought at a Human pharmacy are included
Thank you SOOOO much!

princecappy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've used NorthWestPharmacy.com
They don't process credit cards anymore, but use checks. We got Stew's Flovent from them. I think his fulfillment was from India.
They didn't prescribe him 220, but the 110. After shipping a few years ago it was $60
Thank you!!!!!!!

princecappy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can buy this medicine 10 times cheaper from the pharmacies located overseas if you want to take this risk. I am in the process of receiving it from one of them therefore too early to recommend, but I suggest you google "feline asthma support group" and on them you will find the links directly to the shops.

I have no insight into the fountain and if it may have caused the coughing, but as for Christmas tree, it doesn't really surprise me as some coniferous trees are strong allergens. To relieve the symptoms of my kitty, I have removed from my house all strong odors, chemicals, aerosols, changed all cosmetics into fragrance free, changed her litter to dust free etc.
Thank you! I have stopped burning candles, incense and essential oils!

princecappy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, pharmacy tech here.

Unfortunately, inhalers are crazy expensive. :/

I asked my favorite boss (pharmacist) about possibly suggesting over the counter fluticasone spray for your kitty, even tho it's a lower dose. He said that won't work because..... "Problem with the OTC spray is that it isn't aerosolized to get into the lungs. It just gets on the mucus membranes of the nose. Good thought though."

Ha, I tried. That's why I make a little over minimum wage and he makes the big bucks. ;)

But one thing I know for sure you can do is call around alllll the pharmacies in your area and ask them the price of the inhaler, and make sure that they fill pet scripts (some chains don't). That will give you a starting point. THEN when you find the cheapest one, give them the script and ask if they have discount cards they can apply on it. Unfortunately we (pharmacies) can't give the actual price w/ discount card until we have an actual script to play around with.
Thank you very much!

Teri122

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just chiming in... I have also used inhousepharmacy for flovent (they have another name for it) ..they are in Vanuatu, very reliable. In the past you didn't need prescriptions for their meds, but now you do.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Atticus has asthma and I've never found a cheaper source for his fluticasone than Inhousepharmacy. One inhaler is about sixty bucks and two are $114 and three are $162.00. I always buy three to four at a time because I don't want to run out. My vet is actually recommending Ihhouse to his asthma patients.

Flixotide CFC Free 250mcg 120 Doses/Inhaler (Fluticasone Propionate)