Flour in the Freezer

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess this is mostly for Winchester Winchester who often mentions keeping flour in the freezer. Pam, the last time I bought a 25 pound bag of King Arthur flour I divided it up and packaged as 12 cup / 4 pound units in sturdy plastic bags. My question - do you reuse the bags? It seems wasteful to discard them but if you do reuse (for flour again) how do you clean them, if you do more than shake them out.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For bags of things I freeze, as long as it's not RAW meat I've had in them - I reuse. Even with that I sometime reuse but they are labeled what meat was in them. (When I freeze meat it's often wrapped in butcher's papers first ,or saran, but even still I don't reuse for other things other than meat.)

I've never frozen flour before - so that's cool.

I can my flour in mason jars and suck the air out. (Which some people think is weird.) :cool:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
C catapault I reuse my flour bags. I shake the freezer bags out, turn them inside out, and shake again. Then I run a damp paper towel around the bag. Keep the bag out until it's completely dry, then store. Sometimes I'll just drape the bag over the kitchen faucet til it's dry. Rick makes fun of me for saving bags, but they're expensive and it's a waste. I also reuse my pie bags; I use 2-gallon freezer bags for pies. Wrap the pies well, label, and bag. Flour bags are reused for flour only, with a big black F on the bag; pie bags are reused for pies only. Meat and veggies are frozen in FoodSaver bags only. (A word of warning: Check your flour bags carefully for holes or for bad zippers when reusing!)

F FeralHearts I never thought of putting the flour into the mason jars. A 1-gallon freezer bag holds exactly 5 pounds of flour and they store upright in the freezer.