Flecks of red in clear liquid and weird poop smelling hair ball vomit - vet stumped

Felinesage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed some clear vomit with red specks in it and since I have 4 cats I isolated them overnight to figure out who was ill. The next morning I saw a reddish brown liquid and a hairball plug in one of the cats rooms. I thought it was vomit but the vet said it had a poop smell. I brought her to the vet and there was nothing obvious from the physical examination. She will be getting X rays and bloodwork done but I’m not sure if there is more things I should request. Extremely worried because the vet said she’s never seen anything like it before so she seemed stump. She does vet work for the rescue I foster for so if she’s never seen it before it has me really concerned

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well I'm wondering if this Vet is new or something because even I have heard of vomit smelling like poop, and I'm a lay person! You can even google it and it comes up. But it also does say to seek out a Vet when it happens,

I'm thinking blood work and x-ray are a good place to start. If nothing shows up, then I would ask the Vet to consult with another Vet to try to figure it out.

Please let us know what they discover.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Felinesage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I'm wondering if this Vet is new or something because even I have heard of vomit smelling like poop, and I'm a lay person! You can even google it and it comes up. But it also does say to seek out a Vet when it happens,

I'm thinking blood work and x-ray are a good place to start. If nothing shows up, then I would ask the Vet to consult with another Vet to try to figure it out.

Please let us know what they discover.
Yeah this vet isn’t new and she is the vet for the rescue I foster for so I’m really surprised she hasn’t seen it before. I’ll keep you updated! Thanks

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My blacky had the red blood in vomit 2 years ago and ended up in an animal hospital
they said he had bubbles in his intestines, not really sure as this wasn't my normal vet
but I am definitely raising may red flag for you! but then again this animal hospital
kind of upset me, I felt like they were ripping me off. but who knows.
My cat is a feral and at that time I had just brought him in from the streets
so it's a bit of a mystery what was wrong, he did get better
but he always has stomach issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Felinesage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My blacky had the red blood in vomit 2 years ago and ended up in an animal hospital
they said he had bubbles in his intestines, not really sure as this wasn't my normal vet
but I am definitely raising may red flag for you! but then again this animal hospital
kind of upset me, I felt like they were ripping me off. but who knows.
My cat is a feral and at that time I had just brought him in from the streets
so it's a bit of a mystery what was wrong, he did get better
but he always has stomach issues.
Did it look similar to the picture I sent with the red specks? What was the treatment?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to take them to a 24 hour emergency Animal Hospital so it wasn’t my regular vet but what they did I guess was get the bubbles out of his intestines I’m really not sure that I trust what they did not that I don’t trust what they did, but what they said they did it was a lot of money but yes it looked like your picture of the red dots. I think they flushed his system out to get the bubbles out whatever that means it was on the weekend so I couldn’t take them to the regular vet they sent us home with stomach antibiotics And anti-nausea being feral it was hard to give him the medicine, but I scruffed him to give him the antibiotic

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Felinesage if you could let me know what the vet says I would be curious.
I started a thread about Blacky's stomach in the Health section called Stomach Issue Mystery
I'm still battling for him, I started Adored Beast Gut Soothe
but I would not recommend it right now, need to get your kitty better and ask vet first.
I was told to start him on small doses of it, were still trying to get him through this battle.
I hope. your vet finds the problem!

oh and fyi I was giving blacky Capilex for hairballs
if they say anything about that. It's from Aurora Health it really works. and supposedly they will just eat it, not Blacky tho!
It does coat their stomach and Poo
it breaks up the hairball in their stomach

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your baby is doing better. Just FYI I was mixing.Capilex with gut soothe and that caused a problem stopped the capilex which is a very good product for hairballs. And give him gut soothe only now. And he looks so much better with just two days on gut soothe only is an amazing product. Just FYI for once you get through this and your baby still has stomach issues.