Fleas

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok so my wonderful cat decided to get fleas and his owner doesn’t want me to put chemicals on him I need some good Home remedies to get rid of them we did a bath twice I’m still getting bit up I’m so over this ready to send him next door to his other home he does sleep with me sometimes but it’s getting bad I can’t even sleep I’ve been using half lemon juice and half water it does help

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Generally speaking, there are no home remedies that will get rid of fleas entirely and particularly so in the case of cats who spend time outdoors. Short of daily flea combings and constant cleaning/vacuuming of inside areas where the cat spends time, without the help of flea pesticides there isn't any way to stop the flea cycle from continuing indefinitely - or, at least until winter hits and reduces the flea population.

Talk to the owner about the most 'harmless' flea topical treatments there are - that being either Advantage II or Frontline Plus. Both are topicals that do not enter a cat's bloodstream but are spread through the sebaceous glands only, thereby reducing the possible effect of chemicals to the cat. If you are in an area where there are colder months of the year, it might be possible to use these topicals for only a few months annually.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Generally speaking, there are no home remedies that will get rid of fleas entirely and particularly so in the case of cats who spend time outdoors. Short of daily flea combings and constant cleaning/vacuuming of inside areas where the cat spends time, without the help of flea pesticides there isn't any way to stop the flea cycle from continuing indefinitely - or, at least until winter hits and reduces the flea population.

Talk to the owner about the most 'harmless' flea topical treatments there are - that being either Advantage II or Frontline Plus. Both are topicals that do not enter a cat's bloodstream but are spread through the sebaceous glands only, thereby reducing the possible effect of chemicals to the cat. If you are in an area where there are colder months of the year, it might be possible to use these topicals for only a few months annually.
She won’t do anything until it’s summer I live in mass so Ive been watering down hot water and lemon juice and spraying that and it seems to calm it down and I kick him out during the night and I don’t feel bad about it he comes back in the morning to eat

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It’s a shame some people don’t care enough to take care of their pets..is it actually “her” cat or a stray? If he already has fleas now is the time to treat them..she should get a taste of what it’s like to have fleas biting her. Sorry, Im just fed up with this type of people. If she owns him and not just a stray I just don’t understand why she wouldn’t help him now…I pity the poor animals who are treated so mean.
again I apologize if I’ve offended anyone…

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
It’s a shame some people don’t care enough to take care of their pets..is it actually “her” cat or a stray? If he already has fleas now is the time to treat them..she should get a taste of what it’s like to have fleas biting her. Sorry, Im just fed up with this type of people. If she owns him and not just a stray I just don’t understand why she wouldn’t help him now…I pity the poor animals who are treated so mean.
again I apologize if I’ve offended anyone…
Oh she is I think all her animals do she rescues animals

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so my wonderful cat decided to get fleas and his owner doesn’t want me to put chemicals on him I need some good Home remedies to get rid of them we did a bath twice I’m still getting bit up I’m so over this ready to send him next door to his other home he does sleep with me sometimes but it’s getting bad I can’t even sleep I’ve been using half lemon juice and half water it does help
Many years ago I had a Maine Coon who escaped to the outdoors and brought home a similar flea problem. I could see the fleas literally jumping across the carpet. I "Flea Bombed" my home. I just looked it up flea bombs are still available . I Googled and found these: "Hot Shot" and "Raid" brand are carried at Wal-Mart and on Amazon. To further help the flea situation my Veterinarian also applied a Flea dip to the cats coat.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Update he still has fleas. Fleas 1 human 0

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Any other dish soap work to kill fleas other then dawn

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update he still has fleas. Fleas 1 human 0... Any other dish soap work to kill fleas other then dawn
So, was there ever any topical flea treatment applied? I think you mentioned before the caretaker would flea treat in the 'summer'?

There will always be fleas on a cat that spends time outdoors unless some sort of topical pesticide is used ongoingly. Treating with any kind of soap will only work to get rid of those fleas on the cat at that moment, and as soon as the cat is back outdoors it will pick up more fleas.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG the poor cat still has fleas? It was posted back in April that he had fleas and the owner didn’t want to give him any topical treatment…
I agree with what FeebysOwner said, if no treatment is given to him there’s gonna be no end to his fleas especially if he continuously goes outside. The poor thing must be infected with flea bites….
Getting rid of fleas is very hard….I have a lot of indoor cats (they never ever go outside) and unfortunately they got fleas again. I’ve given them Advantage II and have been combing them twice a day. I comb them individually so I can tell which cat has more fleas than the others and I found the easiest way to kill them once you remove them from the comb is in Apple cider vinegar poured in some water in the bathroom sink. When I combed them they are some cats that a lot of hair that comes out so I pull the hair out on the bathroom counter and I actually kill the fleas with the back of my thumb (nail) and I can hear them snap, might sound gross but I found that’s the best way I can actually kill them. Sometimes when I shake the comb over the sink there are a few fleas that drop out and the Apple cider vinegar and water kills them faster than soap and water.
I also try to vacuum at least every other day and I’ve taken down drapes put them in the dryer on high heat and their beds or blankets they lay on I’ve washed them in hot water and put them in hot dryer. sometimes I will just pack them away in a plastic bag or plastic container till the fleas are gone.
I also have a flea spray i use. I’m kinda nervous about using a flea bomb in the rooms but we have used them in the cellar.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It takes at least 3 months (maybe more) to completely break the cycle in the home and if the cat is still going outside, he's going to attract fleas. I've read some bad things about Seresto collars but some people swear by them.