Fleas!

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Help! My 2 month old kitten has fleas and I'm low-key.(OK high-key) freaking out. I washed him, twice! And still finding fleas on his face. I have vacuumed everything and all of the pet stores are closed due to holiday. I don't know what to do now, I'm like a worried mother right now because I want to help him but I'm out of ideas.

It's currently 5am and I want to sleep but I'm worried to leave him alone. Should I let him be until I have access until the stores open? Will he be OK?

I also have a second cat, I don't see signs of fleas but have no doubt she has it too. Should I separate them?

Attachments

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the pet stores are closed then there really isn't anything you can do until tomorrow. Though they are a huge nuisance if you get your kitten treated tomorrow then he will be okay. It is true that fleas can cause anemia in a kitten but one more day isn't going to be a serious emergency situation.

Go ahead and treat your other cat as well. Even if you haven't seen them on your other cat they are probably there. Continue doing frequent thorough vacuuming after treating both cats. When you buy a flea treatment get one of the brand name spot treatments. Lately I have heard that Advantage is a better choice than Frontline. Do not get a flea collar.

After you vacuum take the vacuum outside to remove the bag or empty the canister. Some people do cut up flea collars and put them in the vacuum bag or canister.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI even Walmart carries frontline. You can also look and see if there is a TSC nearby. I'm pretty sure PetSmart is open too.
Dawn, the plain blue original only works pretty good. If you don't have a flea comb a fine tooth human comb can help comb them out. I hate fleas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the pet stores are closed then there really isn't anything you can do until tomorrow. Though they are a huge nuisance if you get your kitten treated tomorrow then he will be okay. It is true that fleas can cause anemia in a kitten but one more day isn't going to be a serious emergency situation.

Go ahead and treat your other cat as well. Even if you haven't seen them on your other cat they are probably there. Continue doing frequent thorough vacuuming after treating both cats. When you buy a flea treatment get one of the brand name spot treatments. Lately I have heard that Advantage is a better choice than Frontline. Do not get a flea collar.

After you vacuum take the vacuum outside to remove the bag or empty the canister. Some people do cut up flea collars and put them in the vacuum bag or canister.

Thank you so much for your help! I gave them both flea waterless baths and currently cleaning their cat tree and working my way up to all of their favorite spots. Would I still need to get flea treatment after their baths?

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FYI even Walmart carries frontline. You can also look and see if there is a TSC nearby. I'm pretty sure PetSmart is open too.
Dawn, the plain blue original only works pretty good. If you don't have a flea comb a fine tooth human comb can help comb them out. I hate fleas.
I hate them too! This is my first time dealing with them so it's a little overwhelming. Petco was open! Thank god!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Fleas find a way to sneak in. Yes it's awful to watch your cat suffer that's why most people use one of the better topical spot treatments at least during the warmer months.
OTC like Frontline Plus kills the fleas and their eggs and controls ticks. Rx spot treatments from your veterinarian kill fleas, ticks, heartworm preventative as well as internal parasites. It depends on where you live and specific health concerns for your area.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Capstar is a pill that kills any adult fleas on the cat. I think I saw this at Walmart recently. This only works 24 hours, and only kills adult fleas. You need to follow this with a spot-on treatment and thoroughly clean everything in the house to stop the larvae and eggs.

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please don't use a flea collar,IMO the only place for a flea collar is in the hoover .
What's wrong with flea collars? I dont have one, just curious.

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fleas find a way to sneak in. Yes it's awful to watch your cat suffer that's why most people use one of the better topical spot treatments at least during the warmer months.
OTC like Frontline Plus kills the fleas and their eggs and controls ticks. Rx spot treatments from your veterinarian kill fleas, ticks, heartworm preventative as well as internal parasites. It depends on where you live and specific health concerns for your area.
I gave them waterless flea baths twice today plus sprayed their favorite spots and furniture. Would that be enough? There's been a lot less fleas. I find mostly dead ones on them.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I gave them waterless flea baths twice today plus sprayed their favorite spots and furniture. Would that be enough? There's been a lot less fleas. I find mostly dead ones on them.
By the time you see the fleas you have a problem. I spot treat during the warmer months even though I don't like putting anything on my cats. This is a case where the benefits outweigh my personal convictions. Fleas cause a lot of misery for your pets and it's no fun being bitten by the either. If your cats are 100% indoor and you still have fleas and there are no other pets like dogs going in and out you are probably going to have fleas. By the box at least it used to say fleas for 6 weeks and ticks for 4 weeks. I usually go the 6 weeks between flea treatments. Unless we have a heavy infestation outside. Since my neighbors have been keeping their dogs contained and I haven't seen any stray cats I'm hopeful that I can minimize the use of chemicals. Frontline Plus has been around for a long time and I've used it for over a decade without anything but a few pissed of kitties and a bit of foaming at the mouth when they managed to lick it. No harm done. Cleaning and vacuuming help but the spot treatments are the icing on the cake. If you are unsure take your pets to the veterinarian and have them help you decide what you need. The advantage here is the vet or tech will put on the first dose and you can hang around for a bit to make sure there is no reaction. If you go with a Rx you can ask the vet for a prescription and fill it online where things are usually much cheaper. You eat the cost of the first dose for the security of having it done in office.
I use a vacuum that has heap filtered bags. Sealed and tossed after use. I found those little soul suckers alive in my bagless.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree that Advantage is a better treatment than Frontline, which is now steak sauce to the fleas. Your kitten may be too young for flea drops. Do check before applying them. You might want to check Chewey for a good price. They ship promptly, too.

The best treatment for the house, one used and recommended by our vet, is Siphotrol. It's a spray that will kill all but the pupal stage of fleas. Nothing kills that stage, but when they emerge, it gets them. It works fast and is safe after it dries. It usually lasts about six months. You may have to buy it online.

Our vet says flea eggs are encouraged to hatch by heat and/or vibration. He saw a demonstration where a jar of flea eggs was set on something that vibrated. Within minutes the fleas started hatching. The same happened when another jar was warmed. That means a vacuum will cause flea eggs to hatch. Put the Siphotrol down first so the eggs are killed.

Outside, Triazicide does a good job. You do need to treat outdoors because fleas can hitch a ride in on your shoes or pants leg and start the cycle all over again.

I found out that fire ants eat fleas, but to me that's swapping the witch for the devil.

Good luck!

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By the time you see the fleas you have a problem. I spot treat during the warmer months even though I don't like putting anything on my cats. This is a case where the benefits outweigh my personal convictions. Fleas cause a lot of misery for your pets and it's no fun being bitten by the either. If your cats are 100% indoor and you still have fleas and there are no other pets like dogs going in and out you are probably going to have fleas. By the box at least it used to say fleas for 6 weeks and ticks for 4 weeks. I usually go the 6 weeks between flea treatments. Unless we have a heavy infestation outside. Since my neighbors have been keeping their dogs contained and I haven't seen any stray cats I'm hopeful that I can minimize the use of chemicals. Frontline Plus has been around for a long time and I've used it for over a decade without anything but a few pissed of kitties and a bit of foaming at the mouth when they managed to lick it. No harm done. Cleaning and vacuuming help but the spot treatments are the icing on the cake. If you are unsure take your pets to the veterinarian and have them help you decide what you need. The advantage here is the vet or tech will put on the first dose and you can hang around for a bit to make sure there is no reaction. If you go with a Rx you can ask the vet for a prescription and fill it online where things are usually much cheaper. You eat the cost of the first dose for the security of having it done in office.
I use a vacuum that has heap filtered bags. Sealed and tossed after use. I found those little soul suckers alive in my bagless.

Ok thank you! I'll bring them the vet and get their flea treatment. Thank you for helping me and informing me. :) It's been a huge help!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you! I'll bring them the vet and get their flea treatment. Thank you for helping me and informing me. :) It's been a huge help!
I can remember my first flea. It was just awful. And how scary it was to put anything on my precious little bundle of fur.

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i agree that Advantage is a better treatment than Frontline, which is now steak sauce to the fleas. Your kitten may be too young for flea drops. Do check before applying them. You might want to check Chewey for a good price. They ship promptly, too.

The best treatment for the house, one used and recommended by our vet, is Siphotrol. It's a spray that will kill all but the pupal stage of fleas. Nothing kills that stage, but when they emerge, it gets them. It works fast and is safe after it dries. It usually lasts about six months. You may have to buy it online.

Our vet says flea eggs are encouraged to hatch by heat and/or vibration. He saw a demonstration where a jar of flea eggs was set on something that vibrated. Within minutes the fleas started hatching. The same happened when another jar was warmed. That means a vacuum will cause flea eggs to hatch. Put the Siphotrol down first so the eggs are killed.

Outside, Triazicide does a good job. You do need to treat outdoors because fleas can hitch a ride in on your shoes or pants leg and start the cycle all over again.

I found out that fire ants eat fleas, but to me that's swapping the witch for the devil.

Good luck!

Good luck!
I will definitely get that spray, I'm currently using vets best but that one sounds way better :)

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can remember my first flea. It was just awful. And how scary it was to put anything on my precious little bundle of fur.
It was just scary seeing those fleas on his head, as much as I want to use an all natural method the flea treatment is for the best. I rushed to Safeway at 4am to get everything and clean haha I really feel bad for not catching on earlier.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would recommend making sure you by the right flea medication for your kittens size/weight (they do make advantage for kittens, front line to I think.) A day or two after you apply everything vacuum daily to catch any flea eggs for a couple of weeks (and their cat tree beds) plus wash all their bedding (I use towels/baby size blankets on top of their beds to make laundry easier and wash them once a month more as an anti-flea maintenance thing ... but in the flea outbreak 2 summers ago I was washing their bedding once a week! *I also resorted to using borax on the carpet then vacuuming it up but I had a yard full of advantage resistant fleas! I killed the fleas in the yard with insecticide pellets that also killed fleas.) I would use borax carefully and as a last resort. You should be fine with vacuuming, laundry & some topical flea medication. :)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The main one that has caused problems is Hartz HartzVictims.org It is best to stick with Advantage, Frontline or Revolution. Revolution is the one that you can only get from your vet. Kitties can still have an allergic reaction, just like a cat can have an allergic reaction to anything, but it isn't a life threatening reaction.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Cheristin ... since the dang fleas became immune to advantage .... however for years advantage worked great :)

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
And all of this is probably why you should take your cats/kittens to the veterinarian and let them help you decide what is best for your situation. None of it is cheap. I use frontline plus because it still works here and it has a track record of being safe. Fleas are a health issue for your cat and humans.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
See if you can get your hands on some CapStar. That stuff kills every flea on the animal's body practically instantly. It's safe for kittens over 4 weeks old, weighing at least 2 lbs.

My routine with rescues has always been CapStar --> Dawn blue dish soap bath --> Advantage.

In the Midwest, Frontline barely works anymore-- our fleas have become immune to it. :(