Fleas

lamby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have heard that Frontline is no longer as effective as it once was and there was a suggestion of a pill that I can get from a veterinarian that is expensive but will take care of the fleas on my cats more quickly than even Revolution. Can anyone tell me the name of that pill? Thank you...

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I've heard of capstar and comfortis. I've never used either so can't give you any information other than the names. At least you can ask your vet about them.

grammyr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Capstar only works on live fleas not the eggs. It works in 24 hours but as the vet told me you still have to treat w/another product when the new eggs hatch.

I have just done my 2nd total house fogging after using Food Grade DE powder on all the carpeting which did not totally get them. Advantage 11 did not work at all and my cat was treated w/ Frontline 2 weeks ago. So am awaiting a safe date to repeat. I was washing everything in Borax for weeks, turns out I have an allergy too it from my pillow cases - yikes I thought I had head lice too. The fleas got in my car also so I think the house is getting under control now. The car we will see - the hot weather doesn't help .I am so stressed by it all . No flea bites on me for a week or two now but found them when I put a trap dish of soapy water on the carpet under a nightlight. My cat was never an outdoors cat but a cracked and started letting her go out a few months ago. She will be back indoors now sad to say. Too many neighborhood dogs have their walks past my house several times a day. Good luck and be vigilant .

nursybert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have heard that table salt works well. Has anyone tried that?

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have been having trouble getting rid of them in the house too. We have had them for three months now. We are currently trying diatomacious earth. It is a really fine powder that either dries the fleas out or cuts them as they crawl (we've seen both explanations). You are supposed to sprinkle it everywhere ( carpets, cracks behind baseboards, cracks between floor boards,under couch cushions, under furniture...etc.). They say to leave it down for at least 6 to 8 hours and then vacuum it up (it will fill the filter so you'll need a new one -or- we are planning on using a shop vac and venting it right outside). They also say that you can leave the D.E. down longer if it doesn't bother you (which is what we are trying). We have put it down around most of the house a few days ago and we have seen a significant decrease in the number of fleas jumping on us ( from 8 or more a day down to one or none).  We are not done yet... but we are feeling really optimistic that this might finally do the trick. The best part is that this stuff is really cheap and pretty much harmless (don't inhale the powder as you apply it)!