FLEAS!! In December!!

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My poor kitty -- I've given him two flea treatments in the past 45 days (Frontline), and I've just discovered he's got several fleas on him right now. I gave the second one sooner than the normal 30 days, because I discovered fleas on him about two weeks after the first treatment. Haven't seen any fleas on the other two kitties, but Mister Grey is eaten up. I don't want to give him another Frontline treatment, seems like too many in a short period of time.

I'll call the vet tomorrow, unless any of you can give me a quick idea of something I could do on my own to help the poor thing? We don't have a flea comb, and he won't stay still long enough for a good combing anyway. Blah!! I hate fleas!!! Especially in December when they should all be dead!!

thanks,
Summer

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're going to have to get a comb - it's only a couple dollars. Everyone who has any pets with fur should have one. You can do this one of two ways. Flea comb like crazy, or bathe and flea comb like crazy. Sprays, flea shampoos, and powders aren't safe, nor would be dosing with more pesticides so soon.

Look up past flea threads, you need to do things in your home to control the fleas that are there.

Frontline stopped working for me pretty quickly. I had to switch to using Advantage and Revolution. Others have had this happen.
You'll probably need to do so, too.

Everyone needs to be treated and they'll all need to be dewormed for tapeworms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much, what would I bathe him in? His skin is pretty sensitive, and we've also been dealing with dermatitis. Does the flea comb trap the fleas so they can't jump away? Which is better, Advantage or Revolution?

thanks again

Summer

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may be allergic to the fleas, also.

Did you buy the frontline from your vet? Is it frontline or frontline plus?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can dip the comb in water with a drop of so of Dawn and then run the comb through his fur. You also need to vacuum your house well. Put a flea collar in your vacuum bag to kill the fleas you vacuum up.

I use Revolution as well on my girls.

maxmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a flea issue last summer. If your cat is treated with frontline than the fleas on him should die soon. The real problem and the tough part is getting rid of the fleas and eggs in the house. I used a spray for the carpet and sofas and washed everything else in hot water. The most important thing is get a cheap flea collar and cut it up put it in your vaccum bag and vaccum daily till the fleas are gone. I would not bathe the cat it could make the frontline less effective. Good luck!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frontline plus will break the life cycle of the flea, so is more effective. As does revolution and advantage multi.

You've gotten some good advice for take action with.

I asked where you got the frontline because if you bought it from your vet, you know it is a genuine product and the manufacturer will want to know it is not working, and you should be able to get your money back.

If you bought it at an on line pet supply store, there is nothing you can do, and there is a chance that what you put on your cats wasn't even the genuine product. These anti flea product manufacturers sell only to veterinarians. They do not guarantee products bought elsewhere. The danger of buying them on line is that there is no way to know for sure you are getting what you pay for as the product is acquired illegally..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SummerMH

Thanks so much, what would I bathe him in? His skin is pretty sensitive, and we've also been dealing with dermatitis. Does the flea comb trap the fleas so they can't jump away? Which is better, Advantage or Revolution?
Either try to get a gentle cat safe shampoo or just use a little original (unconcentrated) Dawn. This will be a little drying but those fleas are much more irritating and need to go.
If you get a cat shampoo DO NOT get anything with essential oils in it. Some shampoos for cats/pets have tea tree oil and this is very very bad for cats. Other essential oils are bad because cats livers just can't process them out.

If you can comb some while he's wet (without pulling fur) that will stun the fleas a little. If you comb dry you do run the risk of a few fleas jumping off the comb as sometimes they don't get stuck really good between the teeth - but you already have fleas in your home so that won't matter much.

I've found that you can't just dip the comb in soapy water like everyone says.
You'll have to use your fingers to get some of the stuck fleas out and flick them into the water.

For other flea treatments, it depends. Some cats react to Advantage, some don't. It's mostly just for treating fleas. Revolution treats fleas, earmites, and a few types of worms.

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

He may be allergic to the fleas, also. Did you buy the frontline from your vet? Is it frontline or frontline plus?
I bet my oldest kitty is allergic, as his fur is looking very thin. I thought it was the dermatitis rearing its ugly head again, now I'm thinking it's all fleas. Frontline Plus, bought it online -- had no idea it was only guaranteed thru a vet!! ACK!!

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice regarding combing, soap, etc... Maybe I should drop all three of them off at my vet's office and let them do the dirty work
. My guess is they'll all behave better for them! Great idea on putting a flea collar in the vacuum canister... never would have thought of that!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second the collar in vaccum bag ...

I use with my vet okay a product called de flea