fleas fleas fleas!!

tasha111986

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
skully has been treated for fleas whilst pregnant by the vet......its the house thats the problem today i have noticed one and my son has been bitten , normally i would use a spray to treat the carpets and it works. it doesnt say on the can if its safe to use around kittens. i was planning to do every room but the kitten room. (they are now 5 days old)

is it safe? in the month she has been here its never really been under control, she is due a treatment around now and the vet gave me the right stuff for her.

i forgot to ask about the house!

any tips on how i can get thisunder control once and for all??

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you need to really blitz the place.  Do you have a room you can do, and then move her in there (after treating her) the next day?  Then deal with the rest of the house and any other pets? 

You could ring the vet for advice about something for the house, sounds unfortunately like she brought fleas in with her.  If you or your family are getting bitten you have quite a problem, and probably need to treat it more than once.  If you miss some pupae then fleas can hatch again 2-8 weeks later hence the need to treat more than once, and be very thorough when you do - take up cushions on chairs and settees, move furniture, wash bedding hot, do your best to vacum and then spray every tiny nook and cranny.

If you haven't seen this page you might find it useful - it lists some very effective sprays for the household.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fleas/info.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tasha111986

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have found sprays that i will be able to use, its just my son getting bitten im not 100%its fleas but i need to get on top of it. before it gets warmer!

i do not have a spare room to put her in and she is still really unsettled so moving them is going to be a huge issue!

if mum is treated it should pass to the kittens right? i hear they are dangerous for kittens

she was riddled with them when we first got her.....im still furious with the previous owner who told us she was male. took her to get checked and it turned out SHE was pregnant,covered in fleas and malnourished.

in all fairness we fell in love instantly...and would have had her anyway!

x

savethemoms

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I make my own kitten spray that works for floors and anything else. I don't think it smells good or kills them. But repels them well, until kittens are old enough to be treated. I buy freash minced garlic and use just the juice, about 4 tablespoons. Put it in a spray bottle, add 1 cup apple cider vinegar. Fill the rest with warm water and bathe baby's in it. I spray my carpet and chairs to. Fleas hate it :) Garlic is a natural antibiotic as well :)

savethemoms

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
REALLY!?? I have been using it for fleas on all my animals, I got the recipe from my vet and did research on line and NEVER heard it was harmful! Thank you for the tip, ill remove my post!

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not trying to scare you. Obviously your kitties have been okay.  I'm just trying to help you keep it that way
. I just wanted to let you know so you could avoid it in the future. Maybe it is a controversial topic, but it is listed at my vets office as toxic to cats and numerous articles online. Having said that,

try not to worry too much. Before I knew onions were toxic I fed my cat some tuna salad with onions and he was okay. Now that I know, I don't give them anything with onions ever.

tasha111986

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
unfortuately garlic is going to be a problem for us. my autistic son HATES strong smells!

my husband wants to call someone in tomorrow we are going to treat skully tomorrow!

i hate fleas with a passion now!x

tasha111986

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
skully moved the kittens to right next to my bed last night!!with three kids this is a high traffic area....what should i do?

for safety reasons the kittens need to be moved....there is no under the bed!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Garlic and onions are only toxic if ingested in reasonable quantities. In a solution with vinegar the cats are unlikely to lick enough off themselves to endanger them. You should never give t hem human food that has been cooked with garlic or onion.

savethemoms

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Jenny! I thought it was weird that my vet would tell me to do something harmful to my kittens. It is a small amount an mixed with a lot of water. You do want to keep it in the fridge and warm up for Kitten baths because it will go south! I never feed it to them or give them human foods.