Fleas? And If So, Treating Two Kittens?

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Recentky, when the cats will lay down on my bed I've noticed that when they get up, they leave tiny black specks on the bed. I immediately thought flea dirt but it seemed odd to me because they really haven't been scratching too badly and I would have imagined that for the amount of flea dirt, they'd have to be quite infested and I had never seen a single flea on either of them.
Then today I was petting Pepper and he was laying on his back and I noticed a tiny movement in the white fur on his lower belly. I tried to have a closer look but whatever it was had disappeared into his black fur. I started to suspect fleas but was still confused as to why it would be so hard to spot them.
A couple days ago I noticed a weird spot of red near Pepper's whiskers; do you think it could be related? He let me inspect it and feel it once and it feels like a little bit of dried blood stuck to his fur. Photo:
IMG_0321.JPG

A little but to the right and up from that is a tiny black spot (can't see it in the photo) which I tried to inspect but couldn't feel or see anything. Then today I saw a tiny black bug (flea?) fly straight into that tiny black spot. Kind of weird. Sound like flea-like behavior to you?
Further, I've noticed a couple flea-dirt-like spots in the cats' ears... that normal? They've been scratching mostly at their ears and their necks if I can think of an increased scratching level. They also do the chewing their fur thing while grooming so that could maybe be a sign of itchiness?

Anyway, so my parents are freaked out at the possibility of fleas (but, er, they wanted the cats to come outside with us so...). I don't have a flea comb because... I just haven't gotten one yet. I should have. I've been just using a slicker brush thus far. Obviously we'll have to do something if we do have a flea situation. We were going to bath the cats this weekend; we were going to use our kitten shampoo, any idea if that would help at all with the flea issue? I've read about dawn dish soap killing fleas but I'm loathe to wash a 5-month-old kitten with something that strong. My local low-cost spay/neither clinic offers flea treatment (I think they've got Advantage and Revolution or something; reputable brands though) for only like $6 per treatment. I can go pick that up. Is it safe for kittens? I'm a little scared of these poisons tbh. And then would I have to separate the cats for a while after application so that they don't lick it straight off of one another? Can't imagine that would be healthy.

Thanks so much to all who can help :)

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dawn dish soap is the best. It works for my cats.

For the treatment, you need to check that the product is rated for kittens. I know with my flea treatment, it goes by weight. For my cats, I typically give a Capstar (for animals from 2-25lbs) and then give them between the shoulder meds. The Capstar kills everything immediately and the meds help control future infestations.

Go and get a cheap flea brush. The one I have cost me around $2. It has been a life saver!

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It definitely sounds like fleas. If your kittens are 5 months old the treatment from the clinic will be perfectly fine for them. Washing in dish soap can dry out their skin and won't keep them from getting fleas again. The flea treatment you get from the clinic with get rid of the fleas already on your cats and prevent them from getting more for 30 days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, update: I just treated the cats tonight with Advantage from the clinic. I think I did a better job of keeping Salt's dose on his skin but I think I didn't do as well with Pepper. He's got a larger greasy shoulder patch now. It's been a couple hours and I still just saw two fleas on Pepper. Am I correct in thinking that they should be gone in the morning?
They don't seem inclined to groom each other at all right now, and they do smell a bit like flea medication lol so they're not even snuggling together at the moment. Hopefully they stay un-snuggly all night. Should be dry in the morning, I'm thinking?
This stuff had better work. Lol.