Fleas After Treatment

patch82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update from previous post - I gave my cat a frontline plus treatment around 3 and a half weeks ago now due to discovering he had fleas, after around two weeks of combing his coat through, using flea shampoo as advised by my vet it seemed as if they went, however I noticed he's still itching alot at the back end I combed him through again and found 9 fleas and alot of eggs. I've used frontline plus now for around 2 years and it's always worked.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had issues with fleas starting back around August. I use Advantage II.
it was horrible…I was vacuuming every day, washed any blankets, cat beds they used and also gave them treatments when due every month until January. I had been combing them everyday but was still seeing fleas. I gave up on giving flea treatment in February and this month. I started combing them twice a day (mornings/nights) When combing the # of fleas have almost disappeared. It takes a long time to get rid of them, especially for me because I have 12 indoor cats. I think I read somewhere the flea eggs hatch every 28 days. My cats are strictly indoor cats. Oh, in the beginning I also would vacuum a room, then spray with a flea spray, close off the room for about an hour, then revacuum and open windows to air. Didn’t let cats back into the room for at least another hour after. I did this for all rooms…I did that for a few times every 7-8 days.
I was going crazy but hopefully the worse is over.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have patience. It can take awhile to fully break the flea cycle. Keep doing what you're doing with combing, etc. Wash blankets, cat beds, etc in hot soapy water to remove flea eggs. Vacuum often and empty the caninster / bag in an outside trash can. Ask the vet if you could give a Frontline more often than monthly or if a different flea / parasite treatment will work better.

You can also try these tips: Homemade Flea Remedies For Cats – TheCatSite Articles

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gotta treat about monthly for three months to get all the eggs. After that, kitty should be free of fleas.

Some areas have flea populations that have acquired partial immunity to some flea medications. You might have to change brands to find one that works better.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried and had success with the homemade flea spray of vinegar and baking soda? Posted on “homemade flea reme “ on the cat site?

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a huge flea issue in 4 cats back a few months ago when I was in Florida. I alternated between advantage multi and revolution plus, and vacuuming and spraying every few days I think I FINALLY got rid of them. Cats can have treatment every 2 weeks if they are still showing symptoms.
Also as a side note, fleas can cause worms so may want to watch for that as well

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a huge flea issue in 4 cats back a few months ago when I was in Florida. I alternated between advantage multi and revolution plus, and vacuuming and spraying every few days I think I FINALLY got rid of them. Cats can have treatment every 2 weeks if they are still showing symptoms.
Also as a side note, fleas can cause worms so may want to watch for that as well
Did you "Flea Bomb" your house ? I had to do that one time when I lived in Florida. I also had my then Maine Coon flea dipped by the Veterinarian.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you "Flea Bomb" your house ? I had to do that one time when I lived in Florida. I also had my then Maine Coon flea dipped by the Veterinarian.
No. The place I was renting had opened shelf cabinets and I didn’t want to have to pack away everything so it didn’t get the stuff on them. Lot of vacuuming and spraying and it resolved the issue