Flea Troubles :(

SaccaraBird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I am in need of some advice on how to deal with my cat's flea problem.

She is a large Maine Coon cat and is almost a year old. She is an indoor cat (we live on the 12th Floor), but she does like to go outside on her harness sometimes for some fresh air and exploration. However I've barely taken her out the past few months because of one problem. FLEAS.

I first noticed her fleas about 6 months ago and immediately went out and bought some Advantage for large cats (even though she was only 6 months, she was already the size of an above-average housecat). I also flea sprayed the whole apartment and all her favourite sleeping spots. For about a week after this I noticed a slight reduction in her live fleas when combing her, but within a fortnight they were back in full force again. I finished the Advantage tubes and when she still had fleas I went to the vet and bought some Capstar tablets. The vet staff told me those should work where the Advantage didn't. I did find Capstar was a lot more effective, in that she would have a few weeks of relative comfort (flea infestation being at around a 3, instead of a 10), but they always ALWAYS come back. So once that was finished, I bought both Advantage and Capstar and used them together (the vet said the Capstar may help Advantage work better). But still, no lasting respite.

I just don't know what to do at this point. Online everyone is always recommending Advantage, but it simply doesn't work for my cat. I have had cats all my life, indoor/outdoor cats that lived out in the country surrounded by fields and dogs and lifestock and never have I had a flea problem like this. For my previous cats, just giving them their preventative flea treatment once every couple of months was enough. I don't know if the fleas where I live now (Hawaii) are simply more resilient or what? The sad thing is I really want to be able to take my girl out for some adventures and fresh air because she loves it, but I feel like I have to keep her cooped up inside so she doesn't keep bringing fresh flea infestations into the house. I feel like even if I manage to rid my apartment of fleas completely, the moment I take her outside she will just bring in a new batch, considering it seems none of her treatments work preventatively.

Has anyone else dealt with a similar issue? How do you keep your outdoor cats flea free?

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like Vectra as a topical or Comfortis as a pill. Both work great at controlling fleas.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do your neighbors have pets? If they do fleas could be reinfesting through that way. They could be in your hall way when u come in or slipping through cracks to enter your apartment. Or maybe you’re walking near and infested area around your building bringing them in every once and a while. And as far as going outside, a lot of the time in apartment living or close quarters where others may have animal and may not be treating them for fleas, there will be more of an issue. So say Jeff takes his dog Lucy out to pee and Lucy has fleas that jump into the grass now all untreated dogs in the apartment will likely have fleas and the fleas will be infesting that outdoor area. So maybe keeping her inside is for the best right now.
As for advantage and capstar I’ve treated four cats with those together and had great success. But there are others to try. Revolution, comfortis, etc things from the vet will likely be better and more effective. And make sure you are treating ever 30 days. Not a day later. When I was having flea issues I asked my vet and she said I could even treat every 3 weeks instead of the every 4 weeks. You just want to make sure you’re not going longer than 30 days before treating again.
Vacuum vacuum vacuum. Everytime you vacuum be sure to empty the bag out away from your apartment. I’ve heard some ppl use flea collars in thier vacuums to kill the fleas that get swept up. Be sure to vacuum any furniture she gets on.
Also make sure you’re washing any of her bedding and if she sleeps with you washing your sheets at least once a week. All in hot water with soap.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a great idea about flea collars inside the vacuum! I used to put my vacuum cleaner bag in the freezer between cleanings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SaccaraBird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much more all your advice! It's very helpful.
We have wood floors, but have a single medium sized rug in the living room. Our vacuum broke a while ago and I was putting off getting a new one since it's just for the rug, but I should probably just get a small handheld one at least to do the rug and her favourite sleeping spots. I've flea sprayed but not vacummed.

And yes my neighbours have pets, we are surrounded by dogs! It's a very dog friendly apartment building, and we often encounter pups walking around. I didn't even think of the fact that I could be bringing the fleas on my clothes just walking down the hallway! Maybe to talk her out I'll just have to carry her and drive somewhere a little less busy and less likely for fleas for her outings. I feel bad not taking her out at all because I worry she isn't getting enough exercise or adventure.

I think I will try out the different treatments suggested like Vectra and Comfortis. At least I have a better plan of action now because I was feeling quite defeated, so thanks everyone for your help! :)