Flea treatments

tomcat60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 15 year old Siamese has fleas. When I took him to the vet he said that he didn't have that many and gave us Frontline Gold for Cats. This is the 4th month and he is still pulling fur out. When I use the flea comb all I get is some flea dirt. He is a indoor cat and we vacuum every 3 to 4 days. I sprayed the carpet and area with a flea spray. My question is can I use Vet's Best topical spray while he is on Frontline?

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I sprayed the entire house with a few cans of Raid Flea carpet and room. At the same time, I treated all animals with flea drops Front line Plus or Advantage II It took care of the problem. Make sure you spray everything, including furniture.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The primary ingredient in Vet's Best topical spray is peppermint, and I sincerely doubt it holds much value in helping with fleas. But, it can also cause stomach upset if your cat licks it off his fur, and in high enough concentrations it can adversely affect his liver and central nervous system. If it were me, I would forgo using it.

He could be pulling his fur out as a reaction to the actual flea bites rather than the fleas themselves. Some cats are allergic to the flea bites. Make sure you also routinely clean/treat any bedding or other places he hangs out a lot. And, you might consider treating your yard and other outside places in case you could be bringing fleas into your home on your clothes and/or shoes.

If he wasn't pulling his hair out before, it could even be that he is having an allergic reaction to the Frontline or the other items you are using to treat the carpet/floors. So, you might try other flea products to see if it makes a difference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tomcat60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The primary ingredient in Vet's Best topical spray is peppermint, and I sincerely doubt it holds much value in helping with fleas. But, it can also cause stomach upset if your cat licks it off his fur, and in high enough concentrations it can adversely affect his liver and central nervous system. If it were me, I would forgo using it.

He could be pulling his fur out as a reaction to the actual flea bites rather than the fleas themselves. Some cats are allergic to the flea bites. Make sure you also routinely clean/treat any bedding or other places he hangs out a lot. And, you might consider treating your yard and other outside places in case you could be bringing fleas into your home on your clothes and/or shoes.

If he wasn't pulling his hair out before, it could even be that he is having an allergic reaction to the Frontline or the other items you are using to treat the carpet/floors. So, you might try other flea products to see if it makes a difference.
Thanks for the heads up on the Vet's Best. Cheyenne being a siamese is very sensative to sprays and chemicals. When the bite occurs he will jump up and scratch the are then start biting/pulling hair out.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Talk to your vet about switching to Revolution. The original, not the plus variety. Vacuum your carpet every day. Every single day. Wash bedding every other day in sensitive skin laundry detergent.
Don’t spray any chemicals in the house. If you have bushes outside your front door, trim them back and if you have plants or anything with dirt move them outside.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your vacuum has a bag, toss it after each use. If it is bagless throw out the contents immediately after vacuuming and wash it out including rinsing out the tubing.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
if you have plants or anything with dirt move them outside.
I found that fleas were living in the potting soil that I was using for the cat grass that my cats enjoy. I also had some cat safe small plants in the kitchen which were also in the same soil. The bag was stored on the back patio, but when I threw them out and bought new ones, I put them just inside the back door of the kitchen which did seem to prevent fleas from living in it.

I had to switch to the older formulation of Revolution last summer. You may find that it has to be ordered if your vet only carries Revolution Plus.