Flea Treatment That Hopefully Will Work.....

kittybear7

Oliver
Kitten
Purraise
I live in FL and we always have some fleas but this time was bad. I have 3 fur babies, ALL TOTALLY INSIDE CATS (2 are 8 yrs. old and 1 that is 17). I had all of them on Advantage II and need to use it every 3 weeks but it really doesn't work real well. My one furbaby was an orphan some disgusting person dumped in the garbage. He is super friendly but any 'sniff' of flea meds sends him running so he has an awful flea problem. This time it hit all 3 bad and I could see fleas on my carpet and had flea poop all over. So this is what I did a few days ago:
I put Advantage II on Oliver and KittyBear (she's the 17 year old) and Brevecto (from the vet) on BabyDumpling. I had to lightly sedate him first (Acepromazine) but this was the only way I could get it on him and it's supposed to last 3 MONTHS!!!
Within hours the fleas were dying and were gone on BabyDumplin and he has had no reaction at all. I never saw anything like this! They were gone on the other two also but, again, it'll only last maybe 3 weeks and I'll have to apply it again. I vacuumed the house REAL WELL and went to Home Depot and bought a 4 lb. bag of Diatomaceous Earth (about $8 and it HAS to be FOOD GRADE - NOT FOR A POOL) and took a fine strainer and sprinkled it all over the carpet. Then took a broom and swept it down into the fibers. I have a lot of carpeting and one bag is plenty
My carpet is beige so it doesn't show at all. In my dining room I have a dark carpet but it didn't really show there either so don't let this dissuade you. In a few days I'll vacuum again and hopefully this will do it.
Advantage is cheap - I buy it at PetSmart for a big dog and give the 2 cats 8 ml. each on the back of their necks. Never had a reaction. The Brevecto is pricey, yes, but it's supposed to last 3 MONTHS and I'm hoping I can find it for less than $60 on the internet. If anyone knows of a good source on the internet please let me know!
Anyway, this is what I did for my flea problem and hopefully it'll work for me and
anyone else out there who is suffering.
My cats are my life!!! Yes, I have a husband and a job but I love my cats like they are my children and do whatever I can to give them the best lives possible.
Yes, doing all this was a hassle but hopefully it will be worth it.
So... vacuum like crazy and get rid of the clutter!!!

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Florida as well. Revolution has worked well for us. When we moved into this house we began ripping out all the carpet and replacing with tile and laminate. I think that helps. Plus so much easier to clean!