Flea Treatment Recommendations, NO liquids

pinkeed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, so to make a long story short I cannot use liquid flea treatments with my cats. They always just end up pulling tufts of their hair out, no matter what type I use (and/or continuously groom themselves). I don't think they like the smell of it and how it feels.

I have been using flea collars for a while. But I am concerned that these are toxic to the cat and people. The cats don't seem to be bothered by these though.

I've been using this flea collar:

http://www.petco.com/product/103967...ual Action Flea & Tick Collar For Cats-103967

The other ones are always too cheap and end up breaking.

Does anyone know of anything else that I can use?

More info:

My cats are strictly indoors, but I have had fleas get in before in the summertime.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkeed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats are not on any pills currently. Is Comfortis a vet only prescription?

Just looked up pills...do you know if Capstar is safe for cats? Does this only last a day?

Seresto collars do seem to be safer, but it seems like some cats react badly to them (it really works for others though).

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Comfortis is prescription only. I think it's about $10-$12 a month.

Capstar is safe for healthy cats (of course, any pesticide should only be used on healthy cats), but it does only last 24 hours. Comfortis is like Capstar but lasts a month.

I'm sure any product will have some who have bad reactions. It all depends on your individual cat what he/she has trouble with.

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kat-Kat can only take pills for flea treatment, he totally freaks out at any of the liquid treatments (vet says it's because of his allergies)

Is there anything non-prescription that works and lasts for a month?

Prescription meds end up costing between $40.00 and $70.00, sometimes a lot  more if Kat-Kat needs a steroid injection. I just can't afford to take him to vet

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some vets will let you pick up prescription flea meds without a visit/checkup. Doesn't hurt to ask anyway. You can also ask the vet for a prescription and order it online.

There aren't any OTC pills that last a month.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you ever used Program liquid? It doesn't kill adults, but does kill (or make unviable) the eggs and larvae. You can use it in conjunction with Capstar if you want to kill the adults also. Since your cats are inside only, once you stop the reproduction your only problem would be the adult fleas you bring in. Program is not manufactured in the US anymore, but you can purchase the European Novartis products from Amazon. There is also a Program flavor tab, but I've never tried it.

The Comfortis works great, but from my vet is very, very expensive ($25.00 per tab when buying a 12-pack). Only one of the six cats I tried dosing with it would eat it. I wasted 4 of them ($100!!!) trying different toppers.

Edit: Sorry - You said no liquids, but this liquid you mix with food. It's not a topical.

Last edited: