Flea Treatment ... Pondering The Logic

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Let me first state that I greatly dislike the thought of using insecticides whether it be on the cat or in the home. But with that said, I'm failing to see the logic of those who willingly use a topical or oral flea killer/preventative on their cats but refuse to use one in their homes should it become an issue. To be clear, I am not judging anyone that falls into this category. I, respect those who try to use a natural product or DE or thorough cleaning or whatever else it may be to try and treat the premises. I myself, would rather not have to treat the home. NOR THE CAT. And fortunately, since a flea battle several years back, I haven't had to treat the home at all.

... But the poor cat get's a topical poison regularly applied to him in order to keep him from getting fleas which also helps keep the fleas under control in the home. If "we" stay ahead of the problem by using our pets as flea killing machines, the home benefits as well and so do we. So in the event that the home itself does become infested, I kind of fail to see the logic of NOT using an effective flea killing adulticide and an IGR in the home in order to quickly prevent the suffering of our pets by asking them to serve as the sole flea killers of a home that is infested with biting, blood sucking, tapeworm carrying fleas. Fleas that will continue to torture our pets (and us as well sometimes), at least, until the flea life cycle is complete. Personally, I'd rather deal with the problem as quickly as possible. I think the relatively small risk is worth it and I think it ends up being a lot more humane.

Again, no judgement placed on anyone who see's it differently. Just interested in understanding the rationale and logic behind it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Ruby's indoor only, so no flea problems in our home. However, if somehow our house got overrun with fleas, I know I'd have to call the professionals to help, as I get itchy red welts from flea bites.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI: Being indoor only is no guarantee that a home can remain flea-free. Even with a single visit to a vet clinic, you or your cat can bring home a flea or flea eggs from the exams rooms, back lab area, or lobby of that clinic. That's just one example.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FYI: Being indoor only is no guarantee that a home can remain flea-free. Even with a single visit to a vet clinic, you or your cat can bring home a flea or flea eggs from the exams rooms, back lab area, or lobby of that clinic. That's just one example.
Good point. Guess I've just been lucky. :)

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Revolution is far superior to the old Sargent's flea powder.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
backyards have other scary things in them.
Yup, all sorts of scary things. :disturbed:

Sorry darg darg for taking your thread away from your actual question. Unfortunately, I suspect, the people who can answer your question, either won't see this thread, or won't reply. :sigh:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe in subjecting a cat to topical, or any treatment, unless a problem is actually there, that fleas are actually present. My cats are srictly indoor now, but I have had indoor outdoor cats for almost 15 years at our present house and have NEVER had to treat for fleas. That would be like giving chemo every day to prevent cancer. I know there are natural methods out there too for home use. Vacuuming is one of the best ways to prevent/treat for fleas and head lice too.You'd be surprised how many people say they can't get rid of either and that they have cleaned thouroughl, and their house has pile of clothes laying around, trash everywhere and filthy conditions. I have had to inspect home conditions when the schools have had repeat outbreaks from the same family. Fleas were harder to get rid of then head lice!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... Sorry darg darg for taking your thread away from your actual question. Unfortunately, I suspect, the people who can answer your question, either won't see this thread, or won't reply. :sigh:
Yes, sorry if I had any part in that, too! :paperbag:

Let me first state that I greatly dislike the thought of using insecticides whether it be on the cat or in the home. But with that said, I'm failing to see the logic of those who willingly use a topical or oral flea killer/preventative on their cats but refuse to use one in their homes should it become an issue. To be clear, I am not judging anyone that falls into this category. I, respect those who try to use a natural product or DE or thorough cleaning or whatever else it may be to try and treat the premises. I myself, would rather not have to treat the home. NOR THE CAT. And fortunately, since a flea battle several years back, I haven't had to treat the home at all.

... But the poor cat get's a topical poison regularly applied to him in order to keep him from getting fleas which also helps keep the fleas under control in the home. If "we" stay ahead of the problem by using our pets as flea killing machines, the home benefits as well and so do we. So in the event that the home itself does become infested, I kind of fail to see the logic of NOT using an effective flea killing adulticide and an IGR in the home in order to quickly prevent the suffering of our pets by asking them to serve as the sole flea killers of a home that is infested with biting, blood sucking, tapeworm carrying fleas. Fleas that will continue to torture our pets (and us as well sometimes), at least, until the flea life cycle is complete. Personally, I'd rather deal with the problem as quickly as possible. I think the relatively small risk is worth it and I think it ends up being a lot more humane.

Again, no judgement placed on anyone who see's it differently. Just interested in understanding the rationale and logic behind it.
I don't believe in subjecting a cat to topical, or any treatment, unless a problem is actually there, that fleas are actually present. My cats are srictly indoor now, but I have had indoor outdoor cats for almost 15 years at our present house and have NEVER had to treat for fleas. ...
There are lots of things I agree with in your posts, but I do just want to make one point. Some people use topicals as a preventative against other things, too. I use Revolution on Milly the last several summers as a preventative, but not mainly as a preventative against fleas. Heartworm-bearing mosquitoes worry me plus I don't mind any potential killing of some forms of ear mites, just in case they gain a foothold again in my cat. I only use Revolution in the summers. I wouldn't want to use it on Milly year-round, even though --if mosquitoes are a worry of mine-- I suppose I "should". But for me, doing it 1-3 months in the summer is a compromise.

I know I run the risk of leading the thread off-topic, since we don't have a current flea problem in my house. But, on topic, I will say that with my last cat, she got fleas from the vet clinic during her last years of life. She was old and sick (diabetes and pancreatitis, then cancer), and having fleas was a really bad thing. The fleas were in our apartment too (even though we are clean, vacuum, etc. fleas are resilient), so we treated the whole apartment. You don't want fleas in elderly, sick cats if you can help it.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Applying beneficial nematodes to your yard will keep the flea and tick population down in your yard and help immensely in the battle with fleas and tick. I bought my nematodes from arbico-organics.com and it's been several years since I applied them and I still have good flea control. I think it's because of all the rain we have been getting in the last several years. Arbico has a really good page on what nematodes are and which ones are good for which pests.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see the logic in treating the cat, if something goes wrong you can take her to the vet. If you treat the house and it has a bad affect on the cat, can you afford to board the cat and get the house deep cleaned to remove whatever you used to treat it?

I will also say that the flea bomb we used did NOTHING. Vacuuming the entire house every day and spraying the whole house with Adams flea mist did get rid of the fleas after a month.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also question how can you treat for heartworm any other way than using a preventative? I think it is more common in dogs but same goes for them. How do you prevent it considering you would have no idea if or when a mosquito bites the pet, let alone if it has heartworm (same logic goes for ticks and lyme disease) and you wouldn't know the dog has heartworm unless you do a test at minimum yearly or the dog starts to show symptoms which usually means it is far advanced by then.

backyards have other scary things in them.
OMG you're telling me.... read up on whipworms.... among other things.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
darg darg We had a Major flea infestation shortly after we moved into our current home. I chose to not use commercial flea killer to treat the house because of odor/fumes. I think I had only sprayed one tier of a cat tree before I was coughing. The smell wasn't pleasant and the fumes burned my throat and it was hard to breathe. I didn't want to expose the cats to that.
Our solution was to rip out all the carpeting in the home!:lol: We were planning on doing that eventually anyway, the fleas just made us do it sooner than intended. Then I treated the furniture and cat trees with a natural product thats main ingredient was DE. No more fleas.
Thank goodness we were in a position where we could remove the carpet!
I think there might be others out there that cannot tolerate the fumes of commercial flea killer.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For one thing, the amount. Cat also gets exposed to far more flea medicine if you also use it at home.

Also more treatment might not be needed. My cat is on a monthly flea medicine and she goes outside daily, like my dog too. We never had a flea infestation.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I've already talked about this so many times it feels but...

The fleas this year have been aggressive, the ticks have been aggressive, the mosquitos have been very aggressive. Worse than previous years. Before, I could get away with no flea treatment at all but this year, I had to purchase some from the vet. It still didn't help because it's becoming less effective and Felix is starting to react to it. But, I do it because I rather that one time a year than Felix suffering from other ailments from being bitten. He's already been through so much medically these past 3 years. Why subject him to heart worm or anything else unnecessarily?

This heavier density of insects has caused me to be on top of the fleas more proactively. Especially now that I have a dog that is constantly tracking fleas in and out of the house. So, there is plenty of logic to taking preventative action. I can't sit around and wait for things to get bad.

Bottom line, each cat and owner is unique. We all come from different parts of the world and have unique experiences so I always say, do what's best for your kitty as long as you love them and education yourself. My environment in southern Ontario might be completely different from someone in Southern California or Florida. Based on that, our treatment methods for protecting our cats from whatever might be totally different.