Flea Treatment Options-any Suggestions?

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, all! First, I'm not sure if I have the right section (couldn't decide between here and Cat Health), so I'm hoping for the best.

I'm wondering if folks have any suggestions for flea prevention. Long story short, my Patches had a reaction (lethargic and loss of appetite) after wearing a Seresto collar for less than a day. I've used Frontline in the past, but my previous cat HATED it, which made it difficult to administer, and my dog had a reaction to it. My dog is currently on chewables, and I'm deciding what to do for Patches, my cat.

The only other option through my vet is Comfortis, which is an oral flea medication. It doesn't prevent against ticks, though, and I've been told that ticks are prevalent in my area. Also, I'm not positive whether Comfortis is supposed to be used as a preventive medication, or if it's typically used to treat current infestations. Just wondering if people have experience with any of these, or any others that I should try, instead.

In the past, I had a flea infestation with indoor only cats, so I know how awful it can be, so I don't want to risk not using flea prevention at all. I have one indoor only cat, and one dog. Just looking for the best product, hopefully that's budget friendly, that's the least likely to cause further adverse reactions. Thanks in advance!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does Patches ever go outside? My cats stopped getting ticks once I made them indoor only. They got them when they went in the woods. Sorry that Frontline didn't work out, that's what I use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Patches is an indoor only cat. However, the dog goes outside. Although he's on Nexguard, it's my understanding that he could pick up a flea or a tick from outside (it just won't hurt him since he's on prevention), and he could transfer it to Patches. I'm up for correction if I'm wrong, though.

I'm not entirely against Frontline, but due to my experiences with it so far, combined with the reaction Patches had to the Seresto collar, I'm wary.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, I see how a dog could possibly transfer a tick if he goes around trees or tall grass. I think all cats hate the flea topicals, they hate being restrained while you put it on the back of their neck.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how likely it is for my dog to pick up a tick, but I know it could happen. So, I'm really just trying to weigh options at this point.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - have you tried Revolution? It's even ok for rabbits from what I've read which are uber sensitive to this kind of thing.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't. I don't know anything about it to be honest.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe it'll work for you - I've not used it, I just read a recommendation from another TCS member.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Comfortis can be used year round, not just for infestations. I have my dog on it and it works wonders! We tried a few different flea medications before Comfortis and they all sucked horribly. Trifexis was the absolute worst! I ended up with quite the flea problem each time. I did recently move to an area that has a tick problem, so there's a chance I might have to switch to something that prevents ticks as well, but I really hope not! Topicals don't seem to do the job for him and he always ends up with fleas.

My cat is on Revolution simply because giving her Comfortis would be a pain. She doesn't enjoy the topicals but it's easier than pills. She's tried other topicals in the past and they were an absolute waste of money and they all gave her a bit of a reaction, except Revolution.

Starznight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in southeastern Georgia and fleas as well as ticks have always been a huge issue here. My cats also had reactions from the collars and topical leaving me with very few options on what I could use. Eucalyptus oil to the rescue (and not sprayed on the cat or dog) but all around the house. Apparently it acts like nerve gas to fleas and an irritant to ticks and even many other bugs.

Another bonus is that it smells nice! I mix about 5-10 drops in a 16oz spray bottle full of water, shake well and let it set for a day when I make a new batch then simply shake well and spray whenever I’m cleaning. And I use it quite a bit in cleaning not only on my furniture and curtains, but also on my dusting cloths for my wood furniture and floors.

And even add about 5 drops to the large bottle of baby shampoo for washing the cats and my parents dog, making sure we rinse them well. Since then, fleas have not been a problem, none of our animals have ever gotten sick (of course we make sure the areas are dry before letting them lay down on them but it’s a fine mist and dries quickly)

Not even flea bombs have worked as well, and it was really refreshing when we first started using it and got to watch the little buggers twitching as they died .