Flea Treatment In Northern California

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! We're moving to San Francisco soon (specifically the peninsula). Are fleas a big concern in that region?

Our cats are indoors but the new place has a screened in balcony which they'll be using. Our apartment is pretty high up on the 4th floor, so I'm hoping that's high enough not to worry. Plus the screen should help too. Should we worry about bringing fleas inside on our shoes?

I called a vet out there and she recommended Revolution, so I did buy some. But I would hate to have to use that indefinitely for months on end. Are fleas a concern in my situation and if so, are there any less drastic preventative measures we can take?

Edit: are flea meds truly only effective for a month, or can you stretch them out longer? Do they really need a full dose or can I split one between them? We're staying in 5 hotels with our cats on our drive to SF and am worried about picking up fleas there.

Last edited:

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I lived in San Jose, which is still part of the Bay Area, as is SF. I also lived a bit farther north of SF, and now live wwaayyyy farther North. I wouldn't personally quite consider SF Northern Cali.

Everywhere I've lived in California, fleas have been an issue. What floor your on doesn't matter because fleas can hitch a ride on your clothes, the clothes of others on your floor, or on other pets in the building. I very highly recommend keeping your kitty on a flea treatment. I had a small issue with fleas once and my cat ended up with tapeworms. At the absolute least use flea treatment during Spring and Summer, although you can still get them during Fall and Winter. You also should follow the directions on the medication and give each cat the full dose.

During my flea issue I didn't want to use a ton of chemicals around the house since I have fish tanks and an old cat, so I used Vet's Best spray and Diatomaceous Earth. You can rub the DE into the coat to help destroy the fleas but it is not a replacement for actual flea treatment.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I found this on PetMD, dated 2018.
some newer flea and tick treatments last for up to several months with only one dose.
I don't know about whether changing the dosage change effectiveness.
You may need to do a little research and check labels to be sure, and check with a vet on details.

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are moving to our area. Yes, fleas are here year-round, because it is not cold in winter. At least not cold enough like most other places, where you get a break in winter.
Revolution is an excellent product. It controls more than fleas. It is also EXPENSIVE. It does only last a month, in my experience.
You will have fewer problems in an upstairs apartment and indoor only cats. But it will not completely solve the problem.

On the very good side, Northern California rocks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone!!

Monk'sMom and sabrinah, can I ask if you know of anything effective other than Revolution? I was told Cheristin is good too.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of Cheristin. Comfortis works great but it's a large tablet, so you would either have to break it up and give it to her in a few pieces or smash it in water and squirt it in her mouth. I find if you coat pills fully in a thin layer of butter it's a truly painless process.

For us Advantage didn't work worth anything on the dog or cat. Trifexis for the dog kinda worked for a year before s**t hit the fan so I wouldn't trust it to work any better on a cat. I suppose I've had flea problems twice then, not just once, when Advantage failed then again when Trifexis failed. I tried Revolution on my cat for the first time this month and she responded well, so it's probably what she'll be getting from now on.

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can only say we have done well with Revolution. I wish it cost half what it does, though.