Flea resistance to Advantage?

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a warm climate and have multiple cats, so flea prevention is an, around the year, expense. I have always had a brood and found it difficult to afford flea treatment for each cat. Several years ago a vet told me to save money, instead of paying for single dose of cat advantage, I could buy the large dose of advantage for dogs, and split it 4cc for under 8 lb cat and 8cc for over 8 lbs. Anyone pondering doing this make sure you use dog Advantage NOT Advantix which is poisonous to cats. Anyway I have been treating my cats for years this way with success and these last couple years I have noticed it is not killing all the fleas. I told my Vet this (another one) and she told me that fleas can develop a resistance to Advantage and offered a $14 pill. I have a six pack of cats and there is no way I can afford that pill for every cat each month.
Has anyone ever heard that Fleas can become resistant to Advantage? I would assume if that is the case it would be all fleas not just the ones on my cats. Any inexpensive suggestions if I have to switch? I never really liked putting something that will take the nail polish off my nails, on my cats, but it has been the only thing that ever worked.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have seen a couple of threads here about resistant fleas.  It makes sense that in time they would develop a resistance.  I remember we used to have some people here with a number of cats that would do the same thing with dividing up large doses of Frontline.  At one time we had a table here about how to do it with the Frontline.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise