Flea Product Help—tennessee

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I (or, my cats) are having an absolutely awful time with the fleas here. We live in Tennessee, if that matters.
So I’ve tried Advantage and Advecta II, but neither of them have been working very well. They’ll maybe work for about a week or two, then I’ll start to notice lots of fleas again. The fleas haven’t bothered the family or the home at all, luckily, but I still obviously don’t like to have my cats coated in fleas. It’s not exactly fun to pet your cat and notice black dots that scurry away when you bother them, and I imagine it’s not any more fun for the poor cats who have to deal with getting bitten. On top of that, the cats occasionally have tiny scabs on them which could possibly be caused by the flea bites.
I really can’t spend a ton of money on this, so I’m looking for something that won’t cost more than around $8 a dose. I’ve got two cats over ten pounds so it can get expensive. Of course I’m also terrified of the safety of flea medication; I think we’ve all heard the horror stories!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’d recommend asking your vet about products that they think work well. They’ll know what’s effective and safe for cats.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will probably have to fight them in the house and yard. The cats are picking them up somewhere and flea populations can explode during the summer. I’m having an awful time this year in SoCal. Worst ever.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can treat them all you want but the fleas are also in your house, your carpet, the crack in the wood, in between tiles in the kitchen... everywhere. If they are crawling again so quickly you have a bad infestation. Get them out of the house and bomb it. Spray under everything as well. Keep the cats treated. Have an exterminator come, etc. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, the cats are indoor/outdoor so unfortunately the fleas could be coming in from everywhere. What products do you recommend to treat the house and yard? We’ve got a problem with fire ants outside too so if it would kill them too that wouldn’t hurt XD
I actually haven’t currently got a vet I like and I don’t really want to set up and pay for a whole appointment just to discuss fleas, when I could be spending that money actually getting rid of the fleas.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, the vet knows what the fleas in your area are responsive to, plus they have their own animals they are dealing with, so just see it as money spent on a consult to get rid of fleas.

Catmomof2years

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both of my cats are on Frontline Gold for cats that works good, a fast way to get rid of the ones on the cat now is fast caps it takes 30 minutes to work. It did wonders for my cat. I suggest talking to your vet first

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The difference between fleas and glitter. Eventually, you can get rid of fleas.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I (or, my cats) are having an absolutely awful time with the fleas here. We live in Tennessee, if that matters.
So I’ve tried Advantage and Advecta II, but neither of them have been working very well. They’ll maybe work for about a week or two, then I’ll start to notice lots of fleas again. The fleas haven’t bothered the family or the home at all, luckily, but I still obviously don’t like to have my cats coated in fleas. It’s not exactly fun to pet your cat and notice black dots that scurry away when you bother them, and I imagine it’s not any more fun for the poor cats who have to deal with getting bitten. On top of that, the cats occasionally have tiny scabs on them which could possibly be caused by the flea bites.
I really can’t spend a ton of money on this, so I’m looking for something that won’t cost more than around $8 a dose. I’ve got two cats over ten pounds so it can get expensive. Of course I’m also terrified of the safety of flea medication; I think we’ve all heard the horror stories!

Revoluation is the BOMB!
or
Vet-Kem's
Ovitrol- plus
sold to my by my vet.
spray lightly and rub in once a week.