Flea Or Tick?

werd780

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A friend brought their cat over for me to babysit and I noticed this (see picture). Does this look like a flea or Tick or is it just a red bump? I'm concerned about my cat catching whatever it is.

Genesis123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To me, it looks like a tiny wound -- maybe from scratching, or playing. Does not look like a flea or tick to me.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unless you find other spots like it in various places, probably nothing to do with fleas, since the fleas would be all over and cause scratching all other - hence the reason for such a spot (but of course many more). I believe when ticks engorge themselves with blood, they look dark not bright red. So, I - as does G Genesis123 - think it is a wound of some sort.

If you have chamomile tea bags (standard grocery store type, no additives), brew one in water, cool the liquid, and dab it on the spot with a cotton ball. Repeat a few times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: It's hard for me to say from the pic alone if your cat has fleas, however, it does not appear to be a tick. If you notice more itching or scratching this Article may be helpful as well as explain some other possibilities:
Homemade Flea Remedies For Cats

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It just looks like a random scrape from scratching, and even cats with NO fleas get an itch on occasion. Try the chamomile tea! Chill it first, of course.