Flea Medicine On Open Sore

Wolowizard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi,

I have a cat who is nearly two and put her flea medicine on her (topical medicine-advocate for fleas and worms) after I’d bathed her.

She had a couple of scabs where she’d been scratching herself and the warm water and bath must have taken them off. A bit of the medicine went into the broken skin and I’m just worried about her now.

Is there anything I should look out for?

Any advice welcome!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There might be some irritation which a cat may start scratching at. Just keep an eye on your cat and try to discourage any scratching.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As LTS3 LTS3 said, discourage the scratching as much as possible. My cat is allergic to fleas bites and the vet put some frontline gold on her even with the neck rash.

If you aren't able to keep an eye on her until the stuff dries, you can improvise a collar to cover the area until it dries. I made one for shadow last year that was a tube sock filled loosely with plastic bags from the grocery store and pinned together. It deterred the scratching for a short while, until she figured out how to get it off...that was an engineering error though lol

Just keep an eye on her for the usual rarer side effects and just make sure she doesn't lick or scratch the area.