flea medicine advice and concerns

bluesykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First post and I hope this is the right forum.

I've been giving my cat Frontline for her flea medication.  However, I have gradually grown concerns with it, especially with the fact that it's just poison.  Why am I giving her something that if she licks it she'll get sick?  Why am I applying poison onto her skin?  And why am I touching poison?

Perhaps I am thinking too hard into this, or perhaps this is a concern.  That's why I'm approaching some high experienced cat owners.

Should there be a concern with giving my cat Frontline or should I stop applying flea poison?  And if I should stop, what alternatives are there to avoid flea infestations?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think there is always a concern when medications are given. There is always the possibility of an adverse reaction. That said, I think Revolution is generally recommended here as being fairly safe. If you want something more natural look into diatomaceous earth.

Does your kitty need flea treatment? I'm assuming she's indoor/outdoor? You could just make her an indoor only cat as an alternative.

Welcome to TCS! Hopefully some other more experienced members will come along with advice.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Modern flea treatments use the fact that fleas and mammals have different metabolic pathways so the active ingredient is toxic to fleas and not to cats, at least at the correct dose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluesykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice.  And Joelene (the cat, lol) is an indoor cat, but we keep the sun room doors open in the summertime so there's a concern fleas might pop in and jump onto her.

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has never been outdoors but has had fleas twice from sitting in the window. The vet says they can jump extremely high and through the screens. I will have to let you know what it is later that she takes. Its a pill that she takes crushed up in a little wet food. Starts with a C. Best flea med I have ever used on my animals. I havnt used it in tjhe winter though since all the windows have been closed.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ilovemia, flea eggs and pupae can live a long, long time in your home.  I know what the vet said, but it's possible you have some lurking in your house...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluesykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I talked to the vet.  He says Revolution is the best medicine.  (For 48 bucks it better be).  He also says most flea meds are to be placed on the back of the neck because it tastes bitter, not because it's poisonous to cats.  If a cat accidentally ingests some, nothing will happen.  Same for if a human accidentally ingests flea medicine, because pet chemical companies run tests to see if it's safe for humans.  This is because flea metabolisms are vastly different from cats and humans.  Is this true?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The pill is called capstar, and is a fast acting flea killer, but only for 24 hours, and within 48 hours has been completely metabolized.

It's excellent for a one time thing, but too costly for normal use.

My flea treatment of choice is advantage 11. I use this in my rescue, and it's very effective, love it.

I disagree with the vet who recommends revolution. This I used once, and it made one of my cats fur at the spot where I put it, get fried, like sort of frizzy. No thanks, too much something in it!  

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I remember what it is now, comfortis. Its an oral monthly flea med. Works great!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a thought, but there's been some anecdotal evidence that B vitamins help. My former cat and my 3 cats had a mild problem with fleas before, but since putting them on raw with B vitamins they haven't needed any flea treatments. Same house, no bug treatments. I can't explain it.

FWIW, the Revolution is safe, but my cats hated it and licked as much off as they could immediately. I called the vet since they were foaming at the mouth as a result, he said they would be fine and they were. Just a head's up!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, the foaming looks bad like they will get very sick from licking it, but actually it's caused by the taste.

mamasmurf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been reading peoples thoughts I use the cheap flea stuff, but I am going to try advantage, they keep on scatching, I used the flea stuff, gave them baths in flea shampoo , used flea collars, used flea powder and even vacuum often and spray the house,  and I hate seeing them scratch

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be sure it is advantage 11, which is the newest formula and now includes an ingredient that kills eggs and larvae too, not just the fleas.

If you need cheap, you buy the extra large dog size, same cost, but get a 1.0 ml syringe from your vet and dose it out, according to the cat's weight.

No more than .08 mls for a large cat.

Bayer, the makers of advantage confirmed what my vet also did, that they discourage people from doing this in case they dose incorrectly.

Same exact med!

The extra large dog size is 4.0 mls, which as you can do the math will go a loooong way!

Cat sizes are .04mls, and .08 mls.