Flea dilemma

korvia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my boys are 11 weeks, the pet store told me I could use flea junk when they are 12 weeks? yes or no?

Real dilemma is Oliver has flea poop on him, but no bites or fleas and Bear has bites but no fleas or poop.

What's going on here?! is there even any fleas on them? As far as I can tell Bear doesn't have any new bites and they are just clumped at the back of his neck. Is there something I can put on the bites to ease the itching and help them heal? 'casue just as they start getting better Bear scratches them open again. I bath them pretty often, like 1-2 x a week with Hartz hairball shampoo, was using dawn but hurt it dries out skin so changed to kitty shampoo.

EDIT: I can't find fleas anywhere, normally they find me and bite me like no tomorrow, but I don't have a single bite.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I really don't know what is going on, but you don't want fleas, and where there's flea poo there's fleas...

Usually I'd suggest bathing in Dawn, but if their skin is drying out, that's not the way to go. 

I'm not sure why the pet shop says you can't use flea stuff until they're 12 weeks. 

Advantage, Advantage Multi, Advocate, Frontline or Revolution are all safe after 8 weeks.  I'd be consulting a vet if you're concerned, rather than the pet shop people.

Good luck!

poppysmummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If there is flea poo on your cats, then they have fleas on them! Over the counter pet shop stuff simply won't work. I use Frontline for my cats and never have any problems. I wasted a fortune on shop bought remedies and none of them worked!

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Over the counter flea meds can be very dangerous, too. Don't ever use any made by Hartz or Sergeants.
The only OTC ones that are safe to use are Frontline and Advantage, the rest you have to get from the vet.
(if you want to be truly horrified, google 'Hartz flea death' or similar)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

korvia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Over the counter flea meds can be very dangerous, too. Don't ever use any made by Hartz or Sergeants.
The only OTC ones that are safe to use are Frontline and Advantage, the rest you have to get from the vet.
(if you want to be truly horrified, google 'Hartz flea death' or similar)
is it just the flea stuff by Hartz that is bad? 'cause I have Hairball shampoo by them, were would I go to buy Frontline and that?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to get something from the vet.  They  make formulas for kittens.  In the meantime, you can sprinkle diatomaceous earth around your home and then vacuum.  A flea collar in your vacuum bag will work, too.  You can get DE from a garden center or feed store or online.  Also, since they have fleas, they will get tapeworms.  Your vet will need to give you (or them if you take them in) medication for that. 

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can now get Frontline or Frontline Plus (this one is better because it kills the fleas and their eggs) at pet stores and some
super stores, like Walmart or Target. It used to be from the vet only, but a few years ago they let it be sold in the store without a prescription.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

korvia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can now get Frontline or Frontline Plus (this one is better because it kills the fleas and their eggs) at pet stores and some
super stores, like Walmart or Target. It used to be from the vet only, but a few years ago they let it be sold in the store without a prescription.
Oh good, my vet atm charges an 80$ visit fee, so that on top of the flea stuff, I don't have enough money.

But if I can get it at walmart then I can get some tonight, it goes on once a month right?

Is the Hartz shampoos bad too? I have Hartz hairball shampoo, I don't want to keep using it if it's bad too.

afierr03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't recommend frontline from any store other then a vets office. If you go to frontline;s website it is written in detail that frontline in stores is different than those in vet clinics. meaning it is less effective

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if an indoor cat could get fleas ? Has anyone had this problem ? Bella has been biting her tail and stomach today. I will be checking from here now on..........................

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I personally do not trust any Hartz, Seargents or Sentry products (topical flea Meds, shampoos, etc..)

To answer the other question, yes, indoor only cats can get fleas. The fleas come in on people, dogs, etc.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From what I have been told by my sister in law, who is my vet, Frontline at the store is the same as Frontline at the vet. The concentration of the active ingredient, fipronil, is identical.

There were problems with counterfeit Frontline getting into the supply chain. If you are worried or suspicious about a box you've purchased, you can call the 800 number to speak to a representative, who will verify various information on the package. Although, if you purchase from a large chain store, the risk of purchasing a counterfeit package is minimal. The problem is more prevalent with online retailers. We called once when they changed the picture on the packaging and the rep was very nice and explained about the counterfeiting problem.

I'm pretty sure it's available OTC now because they lost patent protection, like how prescription drugs are available in generic form after a time. I guess they figured other companies would start to knock off their product and the best way to remain competitive was to go OTC.

And also, it's safe to apply at 8 weeks of age and should be applied once every 30 days.

Last edited: