Flea Concern/medication

Aj2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My kitten is about 4 months old and has acquired some fleas after a visit to the vet. I have no other cats but I do have a dog. I have been attempting to eliminate these fleas without medicine using a flea comb, vacuuming often and thoroughly and using a lit up flea catcher thing at night. I have been successful in doing this in the past with just my golden retriever, but it is more difficult with two pets.
I have found a few fleas on my dog here and there, but honestly the problem seems to be worse with my kitten. I have decided to go the flea medication route, but have found that almost everything is topical. My kitten and golden retriever are super bonded and snuggle, play together and lick/groom each other. I really don’t want to risk them getting any of the topical medicine in their mouths...any advice on medication or other ideas? I would love to find a good oral medication for my kitten but haven’t found it yet ...thanks!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what Krista and I have been using. If it’s safe enough for her to lick off herself, it should be alright for the dog too. They actually make a “for dogs” spray which is really the same thing in a bigger container.

This is made from essential oils of cinnamon, clove, and cedar wood. You will have the best smelling kitten! You can also wipe yourself down with it if you’re getting bitten.

It kills on contact so the fleas don’t have to bite like the topicals. I’m still cleaning up flea dirt several times a day. But as long as we’re not feeding them, this should eventually diminish. The one good thing about this heat is that I can keep the shared bed stripped down to just the top sheets and sleep on top of them. I clean the flea dirt off the bed with a lint roller or hand vacuum. I spray down the sheets once a day. Supposedly I only have to wipe down Krista once a week. But if she’ll tolerate it, I apply when she’s looking especially itchy.

What I like about this over the medicines is that it is gentle enough for both a kitten and a geriatric like my Krista. You can also “spot test” your cat to see how she’ll tolerate it. I can’t really rub it down to the skin on Krista like they recommend. She’s old, arthritic, and cranky about being handled other than her head and neck. So I spray a wash cloth and give Krista a few wipes before she gives me a warning. I respect her warnings and that’s why I choose to reapply when needed, when willing.

https://www.chewy.com/natural-chemi...YGEALw_wcB&at=10l6Xd&ct=jzabfilfdu01vf0y0mgi8

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aj2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is what Krista and I have been using. If it’s safe enough for her to lick off herself, it should be alright for the dog too. They actually make a “for dogs” spray which is really the same thing in a bigger container.

This is made from essential oils of cinnamon, clove, and cedar wood. You will have the best smelling kitten! You can also wipe yourself down with it if you’re getting bitten.

It kills on contact so the fleas don’t have to bite like the topicals. I’m still cleaning up flea dirt several times a day. But as long as we’re not feeding them, this should eventually diminish. The one good thing about this heat is that I can keep the shared bed stripped down to just the top sheets and sleep on top of them. I clean the flea dirt off the bed with a lint roller or hand vacuum. I spray down the sheets once a day. Supposedly I only have to wipe down Krista once a week. But if she’ll tolerate it, I apply when she’s looking especially itchy.

What I like about this over the medicines is that it is gentle enough for both a kitten and a geriatric like my Krista. You can also “spot test” your cat to see how she’ll tolerate it. I can’t really rub it down to the skin on Krista like they recommend. She’s old, arthritic, and cranky about being handled other than her head and neck. So I spray a wash cloth and give Krista a few wipes before she gives me a warning. I respect her warnings and that’s why I choose to reapply when needed, when willing.

https://www.chewy.com/natural-chemistry-natural-flea-spray/dp/44511?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Natural Chemistry&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv8nqBRDGARIsAHfR9wARW5IgWS06HjBh37ySCpqheIEyraThAE2mD3TBnWplpCMABYdhqcUaAhYGEALw_wcB&at=10l6Xd&ct=jzabfilfdu01vf0y0mgi8
It’s crazy you mentioned this spray because I have actually used it on my kitten. I am so glad it works well for your cat! My kitten actually had a nasty reaction to it- he spiked a high fever and we had to make a run to the vet. I thought it would be the perfect solution because it is a natural spray and yes, smelled so good! And my friend used it on her cat without any issues. But apparently some of the ingredients are actually toxic to cats and my kitten did not do well with it. Thank you though. I’m glad you are getting the fleas under control in your home! :)

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ In all the years I have used topical flea medication only one cat had a bad reaction - lethargy and loss of appetite - but did well on another.
Nitenpyram tablets work well also - but it is only effective for less than 48 hrs.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would Capstar every pet in the house. Then treat the dog with a chewable flea and tick preventative for 3 months to kill all the life stages of the fleas. Picking them off with a flea comb is great but that does nothing for them laying eggs and those eggs hatching first. Flea eggs and larvae can lay dormant in your carpet, furniture and nooks and crannies in the floor for months. Then a pet comes by and they hop on. Your dog could have also brought them in, you could have brought one in on your pant leg even.

Also I would put a flea collar or 2 in the vacuum bag/canister, otherwise any fleas you suck up just come right back out again unless you are immediately dumping it. Essential oils can be dangerous for animals unless you know what you are doing. It is rare to have a pet react badly to a medication designated to prevents the fleas, ticks, and heartworm. Cats can get heartworms too even. Your dog can get lyme disease. What do you do for heartworm prevention for your pets?

Aj2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
~ In all the years I have used topical flea medication only one cat had a bad reaction - lethargy and loss of appetite - but did well on another.
Nitenpyram tablets work well also - but it is only effective for less than 48 hrs.
My concern is not necessarily about them receiving a topical, but if they were to lick each other while having the topical on them. I know the medicine is not supposed to be ingested and could cause harm if they were to swallow some....if I don’t have any other good options I will go this route and keep them separated for a few days, but that will just be a challenge is all :)

Aj2015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would Capstar every pet in the house. Then treat the dog with a chewable flea and tick preventative for 3 months to kill all the life stages of the fleas. Picking them off with a flea comb is great but that does nothing for them laying eggs and those eggs hatching first. Flea eggs and larvae can lay dormant in your carpet, furniture and nooks and crannies in the floor for months. Then a pet comes by and they hop on. Your dog could have also brought them in, you could have brought one in on your pant leg even.

Also I would put a flea collar or 2 in the vacuum bag/canister, otherwise any fleas you suck up just come right back out again unless you are immediately dumping it. Essential oils can be dangerous for animals unless you know what you are doing. It is rare to have a pet react badly to a medication designated to prevents the fleas, ticks, and heartworm. Cats can get heartworms too even. Your dog can get lyme disease. What do you do for heartworm prevention for your pets?
Is capstar a pill or a topical? My dog receives monthly sentinel for heart worm prevention. My kitten hasn’t received anything yet for heartworm prevention. I was hoping to find a chewable that did both heartworm and fleas in cats but that doesn’t seem to be an option like it is for dogs?
I definitely understand that fleas are persistent, but thankfully where I live they don’t last long once fall rolls around. If I can manage it/rid them for another month or two we should be done with flea problems :)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes what JamesCalifornia JamesCalifornia said. It only lasts 24 hours and only kills the adult fleas currently on the pet. I know fleas typically aren't outside much anymore once winter hits, that is why I mentioned how well they can survive indoors in those cold months. I think the most popular product for heartworm prevention in cats is Revolution or Revolution Plus. I wouldn't worry too much about the dog licking it off the cat. It tastes terrible, one lick and he won't do it again I bet.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those who have used it (or researched it), what's your opinion of Catego?

(I'm not convinced we're losing the war yet. But I'm not convinced we're winning it yet either.)

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I have had very good results with generic Frontline Plus. Nice thing is the dose is very small - only 1/2 ml. Can't even tell what cat I dosed after a few hours !

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Safe for a geriatric? Krista is 15 and super sensitive to so much these days.