flea collars

mother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
are any of them safe?  

just treated our kitties with fast caps flea pills, whatever they're called and they all seem flea free at the moment. 

thing is, i guess it only lasts for like 2 days! 

our kitties run about in the back yard, climb trees, run next door and let the neighbors and their little girl pet them.  

so they're outdoor / indoor kitties and no doubt will be getting fleas on them again.   so i really would like to try a flea collar for them if anyone knows of any that are safe.  

thanks! 

meowpoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmmm I don't really trust flea collars, since some can be very toxic to cats and may even cause balding. I would either consult a vet about any approved brands or stick with pills/ flea and tick medication. Also I don't recommend your cats being outdoors since they can not only keep getting parasites, but illnesses, fights with strays, running off into streets, eating toxic plants, and other problems. Unless you're constantly keeping an eye on them, then I guess the only problem would be the fleas/ticks.

elkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been using the Seresto collar on my kitten for about 3 months. Lasts about 8 months, supposedly. 4.3 out of 5 stars on Amazon without too many kitties having adverse reactions. My kitten has had no fleas and no bad effects from it. Mine is even the overseas version I found on ebay 
  I got my moms little dog one as well. He had a severe flea infestation and now no fleas!

I've also heard great things about Program. It's very safe and stops the development of fleas. You might have to give Capstar again though if they have a current infestation. 

elkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I've been using the Seresto collar on my kitten for about 3 months. Lasts about 8 months, supposedly. 4.3 out of 5 stars on Amazon without too many kitties having adverse reactions. My kitten has had no fleas and no bad effects from it. Mine is even the overseas version I found on ebay 
  I got my moms little dog one as well. He had a severe flea infestation and now no fleas!

I've also heard great things about Program. It's very safe and stops the development of fleas. You might have to give Capstar again though if they have a current infestation. 
*Because Program doesn't kill adult fleas, just stops them reproducing.

cjd1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I might have to try this nothing else seems to be solving the problem. Off to the pet store I go. Wish me luck

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, they aren't safe! Read reviews before buying. I nearly bought something recommended by my vet until I read the reviews and saw the pictures of cats with chemical burns.

I can't find the video I watched, but if you search YouTube, that is where I found this information: 

This is what worked for me when Swanie had an infestation.

Boil water, add a little dawn detergent. Comb your cat with a flea comb.  Dip the comb in the water each time, and wipe it off with a paper towel.. It takes a while and the water will get really nasty if the infestation is bad.  Keep doing it until you don't see any more fleas.

Wash all their bedding or anything they sleep on that you can wash.  Vacuum everything that is vacuum-able. There was a study done at The Ohio State University that proved vacuuming does kill fleas.  Once you get rid of the fleas that way, comb your cat every day to make sure they are not returning.  Vacuum regularly, wash and replace bedding regularly, etc.

It really does work.  It's more effort than just slapping a collar on them, but will keep your cat safe and no chemicals involved.

cjd1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep have done all that for two months straight[emoji]128530[/emoji] And still keep finding fleas on my cats. I have vacuumed so much I have developed tendinitis in my elbow.

See posts Ugh fleas I'm am literally at wits end and breaking down in tears plus my girls are indoor only kitties.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My vet told me years ago that flea collars are dangerous and don't work well. I haven't used them since. He said its akin to putting a soap on a rope around your neck and walking in a shower and out again. Are you clean? Maybe where the soap was touching and a little around there but you'll still be dirty. He also said the chemicals used on it can cause rashes and hair loss. Not to mention the risk of it getting caught on something and strangling the cat. 

My cats are indoor/outdoor and we stick with the topical drops. You get what you pay for with them. The more expensive brands work for a little over a month while the cheaper ones work for maybe a week. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Flea collars are good for inside your vacuum canister.  But thats it.  In addition to them being bad for cats; they are not break-away should your cat get snagged on something.  I had one incident when M&N were kittens where I found Noodles limp on the floor and her collar stuck in the floor vent.  Thankfully she was fine; just being a crazy kitten.  But ever since I'm very picky about how easy the collars break open.  I also found one of my old cats limping home because her leg was stuck in her collar.  I really do not trust flea collars.  We have had lots of discussions on brands of flea medication to use.  Talk to your vet; do NOT try to ones sold at places like Walmart.  This is one area that its worth it to go for the good brand products!