Flea Bombing? (posted In Wrong Thread, Sorry! But Will Still Accept Any Help Haha)

Jazhole1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been dealing with fleas lately, I keep thinking I conquered them but they keep coming back. Im thinking about flea bombing but I wanted to know what you guys thought about this method.

I live in a apartment complex, so i was wondering if I close all of my vents would some of the smoke reach my other neighbors? I think our landlord is against this but I wanted to know as much as possible before I bother him and ask. I'm planning on leaving my apartment with my cats for at least 24 hours, maybe at least 12 hours.

Any tips? Suggestions? I'm all ears, well eyes. :)

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"How to Flea Bomb an Apartment
Using flea bombs in an apartment or any type of multi-family housing requires a few extra precautions. Most importantly, you must inform your neighbors before setting off the bomb. As mentioned, flea bombs release a toxic mist that could escape into neighboring units and put others at serious risk. All vents should be covered with plastic to minimize leakage into any shared air system. To seal off the apartment, windows must be closed and towels can be rolled up and placed at the base of the door. Check the label when buying; you should purchase a bomb that is suitably sized for your apartment, i.e. smaller than that required for a house. Finally, you should leave a note on your door, clearly stating that you have used a flea bomb in your apartment. Should the flea bomb trigger the fire alarm, for instance, firefighters will be prepared when entering your unit."

Flea Bombs - FleaCures.com

You do not want to flea bomb without prior, WRITTEN consent from your landlord.

You do not want to be responsible for triggering an asthma attack, insecticide inhalation, etc. from your neighbors. Your landlord may require that you use a particular extermination resource.

A Flea Success Story: How I Got Rid of Fleas in My Apartment Using Non-Toxic Methods

How to get rid of fleas in an apartment with carpeted floors?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Useful advice there from mokapi.

I've recently been battling fleas in my apartment home for the first time too. While I am currently HOPING we are on top of them I know they could reappear again at any time.

I did spray much of the apartment but not all due to wanting to keep toxic stuff to a minimum. After much reading on the Internet and talking to numerous people my conclusion was that the flea bombs were less effective and with more compications like those listed in the post above.

The areas I didn't spray have been vacuumed regularly (pretty much daily) with furniture moved and all cracks and corners paid extra attention, and the sprayed sections just slightly less often. Anything I could put in the wash was put through the hottest cycle possible as well, and I will repeat that with bedding until I am sure there is no return. The other thing I have done, though no idea if it will help or not, is to use a dry mixture of bicarbonate of soda and fine household salt sprinkled liberally over rugs (no carpet here) I wanted to avoid using chemicals on, brushed in to the fibres, left for a couple of hours with the rugs rolled up to avoid cat contact, brushed in again, and then vacuumed off - read somewhere that this breaks the outer body of the fleas, dehydrates, and damages the eggs and pupae. It's cheep and easy to do so think this is something I will repeat over the next month or two.

Good luck.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Back when I was young and (really) stupid, my indoor cats got fleas. I had no idea how, but the fleas were all over the cats and all over the house. It actually took me almost two weeks to realise I was being bitten by fleas.

I started out by treating the cats with frontline. And to my horror... my house still had fleas.

Then Google told me fleas could live in other places like carpets. So I bought some Frontline spray off Ebay, boarded the cats, and sprayed my whole house, paying special attention to furniture and carpets. I have no idea if it was potentially hazardous, but it worked for me.

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a really bad flea infestation once, I tried the flea bombs but it didn't end up working. I had to hire professionals, I got all my pets out of the house that day and took them all for baths, while the guys treated the inside and outside of my house. My vet also had me use a topical and an oral flea preventive for a couple months. When I came home after the guys left I bought a new vacuum and vacuumed all carpets, curtains, and washed everything I could. It worked. Good luck it's tough getting rid of those fleas sometimes.