Flea And Worm Prevention.

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
is there any particular flea and worm preventions (like spot ons ) that are better than others?

I think I remember reading somewhere that you can buy the stuff for dogs and it comes in bigger amounts and turns out cheaper? I don't know if that's true.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since flea resistance varies from region to region your vet is the best one to check with. My aunt has great success with Frontline but Frontline doesn't even touch the fleas in my area so I have to use Advantage. As to if you can use the dog version, I think it varies by brand. Compare the dog and cat ingredient list and check with your vet to confirm.

I strongly (extremely strongly) discourage you from using any generic brand or cheap knock off. Some of them can have dangerous and deadly side effects as they trade chemicals to save money and that can have disastrous results. Also, most collar type control methods are only effective within a few inches of the collar itself so do nothing more than create two habitable zones and an inhabitable zone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since flea resistance varies from region to region your vet is the best one to check with. My aunt has great success with Frontline but Frontline doesn't even touch the fleas in my area so I have to use Advantage. As to if you can use the dog version, I think it varies by brand. Compare the dog and cat ingredient list and check with your vet to confirm.

I strongly (extremely strongly) discourage you from using any generic brand or cheap knock off. Some of them can have dangerous and deadly side effects as they trade chemicals to save money and that can have disastrous results. Also, most collar type control methods are only effective within a few inches of the collar itself so do nothing more than create two habitable zones and an inhabitable zone.
Okay, thank you. What constitutes a knock off brand?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pretty much anything with a name way to close to the original brand name or something that you can get at the store for less than half the price of the original. In terms of effectiveness and safety you really do get what you pay for when it comes to flea control. You are really best sticking with exactly what your vet recommends.

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pretty much anything with a name way to close to the original brand name or something that you can get at the store for less than half the price of the original. In terms of effectiveness and safety you really do get what you pay for when it comes to flea control. You are really best sticking with exactly what your vet recommends.
Okay. I'm sure my vet would just reccomend their own flea treatment which is almost twice as much as products like advantage. The vet I go to is only about the money.

I'm gonna try frontline and see how that goes.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Okay. I'm sure my vet would just reccomend their own flea treatment which is almost twice as much as products like advantage. The vet I go to is only about the money.

I'm gonna try frontline and see how that goes.
If your vet does that, have you considered getting a different vet? If not, you can try calling the next nearest vet and asking what they recommend. Frontline is one of the better ones out there for a lot of people. My local fleas are just immune to it.

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If your vet does that, have you considered getting a different vet? If not, you can try calling the next nearest vet and asking what they recommend. Frontline is one of the better ones out there for a lot of people. My local fleas are just immune to it.
I do have another vet where I took them to get neutered (it was HALF the price) so I could ring them and ask them.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has used Revolution, which is a topical and takes care to fleas, other parasites, worms, etc. Excellent and a must if your cat is outside any. Also, Advantage Multi, another topical, excellent and also takes care of fleas, other parasites and worms. (any worms which are most prevalent anyway, the ones you would be concerned with, both Revolution and Advantage Multi will take care of). You need a doctor's prescription for and both and both are available over the internet. I, for example have an account with 1-800 Pet Meds. 1-800 will telephone your vet to verify you and your pet, and get the right prescription over the phone with your vet, and will mail to you your supply. I, for example order Katy's Advantage Multi, a six month's supply at a time. It's cheaper to order this way and you do not have to be involved with any private medications your vet my be pushing. All vets honor 1-800 Pet meds, and of course there are others out there too, 1-800 Pet Meds just happen to be the vendor I chose. The topical is applied at the nape of their neck once monthly, and voila, your cat is protected!;)

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has used Revolution, which is a topical and takes care to fleas, other parasites, worms, etc. Excellent and a must if your cat is outside any. Also, Advantage Multi, another topical, excellent and also takes care of fleas, other parasites and worms. (any worms which are most prevalent anyway, the ones you would be concerned with, both Revolution and Advantage Multi will take care of). You need a doctor's prescription for and both and both are available over the internet. I, for example have an account with 1-800 Pet Meds. 1-800 will telephone your vet to verify you and your pet, and get the right prescription over the phone with your vet, and will mail to you your supply. I, for example order Katy's Advantage Multi, a six month's supply at a time. It's cheaper to order this way and you do not have to be involved with any private medications your vet my be pushing. All vets honor 1-800 Pet meds, and of course there are others out there too, 1-800 Pet Meds just happen to be the vendor I chose. The topical is applied at the nape of their neck once monthly, and voila, your cat is protected!;)
That sounds great! Is 1-800 pet meds just an American service? I am in the UK.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really do not know. Just try going on the internet and see what you come up with. I am certain someone else from the UK will chime in and offer some suggestions as to Pet med websites for your country.

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really do not know. Just try going on the internet and see what you come up with. I am certain someone else from the UK will chime in and offer some suggestions as to Pet med websites for your country.
Thank you. I'm going to ring the other vets on Monday and see what they suggest or they can prescribe.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bet you could order whatever you want from THIS web site in Australia, because it serves the UK and US also. I actually order ACTIVYL from them, since the fleas in my area have become resistant to the other two meds that are the same for cats AND dogs (Frontline and Advantage II).

Activyl : Pets Megastore discount medical supplies for pets
. (It's on a dog page because I order the largest size possible, but this drug is the same for dogs and cats.)

My spaymobile vets used to use it and it's been around awhile with no bad reactions that I know of. (I had a cat that was sensitive to the moxidectin in Advantage Multi so will never use that again. Some rare animals are sensitive to macrocyclic lactones like moxidectin, and they can the blood brain barrier and cause terrible neurological symptoms!) Activyl hasn't caught on bigtime in the U.S. yet (but it will) and I order it from Australia, where it is very popular, and I order the Extra Large Dog size which is 60 cat doses, and I put it in glass vials and use 0.5 ml per cat. It is NOT a dewormer, but they don't need dewormer every month.

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bet you could order whatever you want from THIS web site in Australia, because it serves the UK and US also. I actually order ACTIVYL from them, since the fleas in my area have become resistant to the other two meds that are the same for cats AND dogs (Frontline and Advantage II).

Activyl : Pets Megastore discount medical supplies for pets
. (It's on a dog page because I order the largest size possible, but this drug is the same for dogs and cats.)

My spaymobile vets used to use it and it's been around awhile with no bad reactions that I know of. (I had a cat that was sensitive to the moxidectin in Advantage Multi so will never use that again. Some rare animals are sensitive to macrocyclic lactones like moxidectin, and they can the blood brain barrier and cause terrible neurological symptoms!) Activyl hasn't caught on bigtime in the U.S. yet (but it will) and I order it from Australia, where it is very popular, and I order the Extra Large Dog size which is 60 cat doses, and I put it in glass vials and use 0.5 ml per cat. It is NOT a dewormer, but they don't need dewormer every month.
That sounds great. I'll definitely check that out

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know anything about the Bob Martin brand? I see a lot of cat products with this name and this is the one I see most often in the shops. I'm planning on a trip to pets at home to see what they have there soon.