Flea And Tick Prevention...

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoor-outdoor cats. I know that's not popular with some, and I understand the arguments. However, I am wondering about flea and tick prevention. We use a topical treatment (advantage multi) in the summer and spring months. Once the cold weather hits (we live in Kansas...it gets bitterly cold in winter), we stop the treatments because the cats go outside far less. My question is...is it REALLY necessary to use the treatment every 30 days? We do it every 35-40 days and have never had fleas or ticks. I wonder how often every one treats their cats? If I can do it even less often, that'd be great. Money isn't the issue...I'll spend my entire savings to keep them healthy...but I just don't like putting it on them because of the horror stories I have read (I know...I shouldn't read Google). Thanks for any input!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always tried the natural alternative to treating fleas unless it gets uncontrollably bad. The reason being is that I use to have a cat that would have really horrible reactions to any flea treatment we used on her. I have used advantage as well on both my cat and my dog. I'm not sure about long term use because I only use it when things get bad.

People usually tell me that fleas can build up a tolerance after a while. Something I've also learned in biology class. And I'm not sure how safe it is long term. Have you tried natural flea and tick treatments?

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to live in an area where it got into the minus's in winter and only treated during the hot months and only when I saw fleas or they got itchy and I suspected fleas. That worked fine for both my cats for 10 years.

Where I live now it's humid all year round and while it gets cold, it doesn't frost and fleas are a nightmare. I have to treat every 3 weeks to right on the month or there's a problem. If what you're doing is working, stick with it.

Only thing is I don't think advantage II does ticks. It's my understanding that the only way to treat for ticks in cats is to use a spray on (I just brush through my cats with my hands regularly to feel for any lumps or bumps that seem wrong).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to live in an area where it got into the minus's in winter and only treated during the hot months and only when I saw fleas or they got itchy and I suspected fleas. That worked fine for both my cats for 10 years.

Where I live now it's humid all year round and while it gets cold, it doesn't frost and fleas are a nightmare. I have to treat every 3 weeks to right on the month or there's a problem. If what you're doing is working, stick with it.

Only thing is I don't think advantage II does ticks. It's my understanding that the only way to treat for ticks in cats is to use a spray on (I just brush through my cats with my hands regularly to feel for any lumps or bumps that seem wrong).
Thank you for your post. My only concern is the side effects of this treatment over time. I've read horror stories...are those rare, perhaps even exaggerated?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have always tried the natural alternative to treating fleas unless it gets uncontrollably bad. The reason being is that I use to have a cat that would have really horrible reactions to any flea treatment we used on her. I have used advantage as well on both my cat and my dog. I'm not sure about long term use because I only use it when things get bad.

People usually tell me that fleas can build up a tolerance after a while. Something I've also learned in biology class. And I'm not sure how safe it is long term. Have you tried natural flea and tick treatments?
I have not tried any natural treatments. I've been hesitant to go that route because I've from many they're not as effective. It you've had success with them...so who knows.