Flavorless vitamin/mineral supplement?

the3rdname

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need something to supplement home-cooked, and canned meat, meals, but it has to be completely void of flavor for my super finicky kitties.  Tried Wysong's Call of the Wild and it did not go over well...http://www.sadtrombone.com/

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

the3rdname

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

You can try U Stew. It's a pre-mix for home cooked diets. I'm not sure if it's flavorless. I would think pre-mixes have some sort of taste to them depending on what ingredients are used.

There's a list of other pre-mixes here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264153/home-cooked-cat-food-resources

Maybe you could mask any taste with a super stinky freeze dried raw food or other topper?
Unfortunately, the U Stew has a couple of ingredients my sensitive tummy boy would have trouble with.  Great list of pre-mixes, though!  From what I can tell, the Alnutrin seems to be the most basic, no-frills pre-mix available.  I mix in the supplement at mealtime, which can vary from 1.5 oz. to 6 oz. of food, depending on how many cats are getting fed what type of food.  Do you know how I would calculate the amount of pre-mix required?  Or should I maybe start a new thread on the topic...?

imuneekru

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it doesn't bother you to give them a non-raw tidbit, you could always try vitamin "treats." Rather than mixing a supplement with their regular food, I give my cats a chicken-flavored vitamin daily. It's basically the equivalent of buying those human "gummy-vites" instead of the kind you have to swallow with a glass of water. Yeah it's a little dab of junk food but the trade-off is you don't mind taking them regularly. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If it doesn't bother you to give them a non-raw tidbit, you could always try vitamin "treats." Rather than mixing a supplement with their regular food, I give my cats a chicken-flavored vitamin daily. It's basically the equivalent of buying those human "gummy-vites" instead of the kind you have to swallow with a glass of water. Yeah it's a little dab of junk food but the trade-off is you don't mind taking them regularly. 
I'm not sure if a general cat vitamin treat has enough vitamins and minerals to make up for what's lacking in a home cooked diet. LDG or AbbysMom or one of the other experienced raw feeders would probably know for sure.

Unfortunately, the U Stew has a couple of ingredients my sensitive tummy boy would have trouble with.  Great list of pre-mixes, though!  From what I can tell, the Alnutrin seems to be the most basic, no-frills pre-mix available.  I mix in the supplement at mealtime, which can vary from 1.5 oz. to 6 oz. of food, depending on how many cats are getting fed what type of food.  Do you know how I would calculate the amount of pre-mix required?  Or should I maybe start a new thread on the topic...?
I wonder if you could just buy individual supplements and add them to your food? I know there are raw recipies that use individual supplements instead of a pre-mix. You would probably need to adjust the amounts of supplements for the home cooked food.