Flat Rib Cage

Karma1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a new litter of kittens and today they are 16 days old...2 days ago I noticed one has a very flat rib cage. Anything that can be done ? The kitten moves just as well as the others just seems to be breathing a little faster.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Karma1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you...I'll make an appointment and see where we go from there.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some very good threads regarding this issue and catwoman707 catwoman707 has been very helpful (more so than most vets). Outcomes have been successful using her method to correct the flat chested kittens. Hopefully she will see this and jump in with her expertise.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just saw this, thank you :)

Most vets really don't know how to deal with this aside from surgery, but costly and kitten is too young.
Time is very important that this be corrected now, while his bones are still soft and easily pliable.

Please see the thread Flat Chested Kitten Syndrome??
I go in to great detail on how to correctly create a vest, how tight to make it, and so on.
Please be sure to get on this right away, he is growing at an incredible rate right now and his lung capacity is only going to be more and more restricted every few days, and also affecting his heart.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have.

Karma1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just saw this, thank you :)

Most vets really don't know how to deal with this aside from surgery, but costly and kitten is too young.
Time is very important that this be corrected now, while his bones are still soft and easily pliable.

Please see the thread Flat Chested Kitten Syndrome??
I go in to great detail on how to correctly create a vest, how tight to make it, and so on.
Please be sure to get on this right away, he is growing at an incredible rate right now and his lung capacity is only going to be more and more restricted every few days, and also affecting his heart.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have.
I have cut a sweatshirt and placed a hole in each side. He is really small so I was wonder if I can just use the sweatshirt and fasten with a ribber band to put tension in each side? Is it necessary to use qtips for support. He is just so small I font know how to get them to stay on....

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely do not use a rubberband.
Did you see the thread where the toilet paper roll was cut down the center lengthwise then attached together inside out and fastened in the front?
Or the other pics I posted to show the idea of what needs to be done?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten needs support. The toilet paper roll that is cut into a vest has worked well for many of our members with flat-chested kittens. It provides good support.

Try to go back through the thread that catwoman707 catwoman707 provided a link for, and review the toilet paper roll vest. There are pictures.

Karma1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the idea is to lift him up to keep him from laying on his chest correct ? Or does it need to have pressure on the sides to force the rib cage down on the sides ? I was just worried about having it to tight and him not be able to breath?

Karma1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I added 2 pics to my media I hope they can be seen....please let me know if you think this will work...and how tight it should be. And will the mom be accepting of him with this in? Or should I leave him in a desperate place while I'm at work and take it off for feeding when I get home at night from work ?? So stress to me!! I want him to be ok

Karma1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did cut slots in the front for his feet to go through to keep it from sliding off...fyi

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
K Karma1 ...I just saw your media page, but are you able to post the photos, here.
Just use the "upload a file" button, at bottom right of page.

Use 'full image'....not 'thumbnail'.

Karma1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like I said it now has slots near the front for its little legs to go through

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have experience with fck, and I think that catwoman707 catwoman707 is on the west coast, so won't be online until later, tonight.

From my reading, the idea is to allow the kitten to breathe normally, and expand his lungs.
Can you take a look at this Site link:Treating Flat-chested kitten syndrome
If you look under 'splinting'...it shows further photos of using the 'toilet roll' method.

I'm not sure if your 'pepsi method' would be strong enough, to keep the kitten off his chest.
My understanding is that by splinting, and putting gentle, soft pressure, on the side of the ribcage...this would help the ribs push out, and allow the kitten to breathe easier.
However...there is a Warning...on that website, and also what catwoman707, mentioned above, that it would be better to have the kitten evaluated by a Vet, so that they could determine if the ribs move inward, or outward, when placing gentle pressure on sides. If it is the inward kind, then splinting would be dangerous.
They could also take x-rays, and check out the breathing.

When you look at your kitten while he is laying on his side, does his breathing seem normal?
Does he expand his ribs? Or his stomach?
Can you post a photo of her/him?

Are you able to get to a Vet?

Last edited:

Karma1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And I seem to see him breath more in his stomach

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I just read further, and your method of using the plastic bottle, is written about on the above website, mentioning that their kitten lays on his side while feeding. Treating Flat-chested kitten syndrome

I'm sorry, I really wish I knew more, about this condition, but I'm afraid I don't.
I so hope your kitten improves.

Oh, wow, is he ever adorable.

Last edited: