Flagyl…ugh

dolceshmolce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any tricks for disguising the taste of flagyl somehow? Giving it to my cat has been a traumatic experience. My husband can hold him down while I administer it (although some of it always gets spit out), but he hates it so much that he hides under the bed so there’s no chance of even giving it to him some times. Last night he never came out so we missed a dosage.

Slowly losing my mind. We’ve been instructed to finish the bottle, so we have about 2 weeks left. I just tried putting it a Tiki Cat tuna broth and he figured it out after a couple seconds and quickly ran to his under the bed because even the taste triggers him. I should mention, he’s been turning his nose up at all wet food the past 2 weeks, so that’s a no go.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Besides the compounding option, which might be your best choice, consider trying baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) and mixing the meds with a bite or so. Human canned tuna (or chicken) in water might work better than the Tiki Cat broths. I had to give Feeby a med that made her foam/froth at the mouth, but when I mixed it with tuna 'juice' she gladly ate it - and then I gave her a piece of the tuna as a treat afterward.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wipe the syringe off before inserting into the cat's mouth. That might help lessen the initial reaction before you squirt the yucky medicine in.

Flagyl is available in a pill form which may or may not be any less yucky tasting. Hiding the pill in a Pill Pocket coated with FortiFlora or crushed up treat may help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dolceshmolce

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. I will have to look into that pharmacy and ask my vet about it on Monday, the tiny pill or chewable could be promising. My kitten is going to have to go on meds too, so I need a better way that doesn’t wind up with me in tears and the cats hiding for 12 hours.
I just tried tuna juice, and while it started out well, he only took half of it before deciding he didn’t want it. I’m not surprised though, he’s never been a fan of anything wet. So sadly I had to pin him down and give the other half by mouth. I’m so afraid he’s going to end up hating me, he’s usually attached to my hip and it hurts my heart so much 😩

Hoping I can get it compounded into another form, but if not, I will at least try the pill.