Fixed Male Pregnant Female

jadeandalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We finally got our male cat fixed and I am getting our very pregnant female fixed 10 weeks after she gives birth (per our vets advice). My question is, there is a very real possibility that she will give birth while we are not home, as we run a business. I know before he was fixed I was told I needed to keep them separated when she gave birth. Is that still the case now that he is fixed? It will be a week tomorrow that he was fixed.

Geralizze M.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Male cats remain fertile for some time after neutering. It might take around 4-8 weeks for all of the hormones to leave his body.
These hormones are responsible for many of their undesirable behaviors such as:

1-) Spraying
2-) Aggressiveness

You vet might have recommended to separate them because unfixed male cats kill the offspring to mate with the female, as happens with other felines in the wild. There are exceptions though. Even unrelated male cats can help take care of the kittens. But generally, it is safer to keep the male cat away from the kittens until they are older. You could try introducing the father to the kittens under supervision. There are male cats who have paternal instincts even though that is not the norm.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jadeandalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since he got fixed he has become increasingly less aggressive with her. He used to fight with her constantly and was going so far as to restrict her access to her own food and water. Now he seems to not really care one way or the other about her, and generally leaves her alone. He has also become less demanding of our attention, whereas he used to be literally in our face demanding we pay attention to him every second we were home, he now will come to us for attention but if we put him down or ignore him he will wander off to do his own thing. Does any of this make a difference in how he will react to the kittens?

Geralizze M.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear (read) that he is less aggressive now!

His actions towards the mother and his reactions to being picked up do not determine how he will react towards the kittens. Only way to know that would be to introduce him to the kittens once they are born.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Domestic cats normally do not harm kittens. I have taken care of countless litters from strays that were dumped and given birth in the fields,and observed the big feral toms when they are around the kittens.They have always sniffed them and then walked away, ignoring them. I have seen the most ferocious battle scarred toms laying in the sun with kittens crawling all over them, and actually playing with them at times. The only kittens I have ever seen killed were killed by their own mother, who I spayed immediately. So really, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Unless you can separate them for a long time, you might increase stress and make the situation worse. If possible, be there when you are introducing him, but I really don't think you have anything to worry about. It's how the mama reacts when he is around you should watch, you don't want her focusing more on him than the kittens.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If they were good friends, there would be no problem with them being together. (save some risk for a new pregnancy) Even the tales of toms killing kittens, is almost always of new toms not belonging, whom want to get a new territory, a new female into their account.
Toms whom are friends with momma, or even know her rather superficially, are no danger (unless some accident or such).
Friendly toms as said above, are either neutral re kittens, or even co-parenting.

and this is not necessary they are biological fathers nor mated with her. If they live with the same owner is more than enough.

BUT as you yourself tell, before they werent friends at all.
I notice his behavior changes to the better, but unless you are sure they are friends now, better to separate them.
Even if he is prob no real danger for the kittens, he may be a stressing factor for the momma to be. And we dont want this.

She doesnt know as yet he is more friendly now, does she?

jadeandalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So mama was a barn cat before we got her, and has always been almost silent when giving birth. This time was no different. Sometime last night she gave birth to 4 kittens in my son's closet. We only knew because she woke us up because her food bowl was empty, and we noticed she was no longer pregnant. Took us a few minutes to find them, and only did because they started making noise. Mama and babies are doing well.
Male cat knows where they are hidden, and seems indifferent to them. He will be in the same room with them, but wont get any further them peering around the corner of the ottoman they are hidden behind. Mama is keeping a close eye on him, but at this point I think they are all going to be fine.

jadeandalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So after the last few days worrying about my male being mean to the kittens it looks like it's mama I need to be worried about. This is her third litter, and she hasn't been spending much time in the room with her babies. If one of us go Into the room she will go in there and check on them. But for instance she has been hanging out on the back of my couch for the last half hour or so. With the other two litters she was with them pretty constantly. Should I be concerned? They seem to be eating fine when she is in there, and she is licking them and cleaning them

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some mamas arent 100 perfect. It may be so, she being no longer newbe, knows there is some leeway... Its not longer new and interesting either.

Still, you much watch some extra the kittens develop nicely.
Easiest is by weighting them every day. But looking on them and perhaps feeling by hand may be enough if you are experienced.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to be concerned your mom cat and your male cat interacting as well. He will still be fertile for up to a month after his neuter, and she can get pregnant within a week of delivery. Please don’t allow them to interact unless supervised.

Mom may need to be closed in a room with her babies and her food, water, litter box for a few days so she stays with them.