Fixed Male Attacking 4 Month Old Unfixed Females

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a eight cats between my husband and I and our roommates. One of which is a fixed year and half male named Poe and three four month old females that are getting fixed one a week this month starting the 14th.

Poe will not stop attacking and biting their genitals. I don't know why he's doing this as the other males are fixed as well and don't even seem to realize the females are different from them.

What can I do to stop this behavior? I'm so scared he'll attack one after she's fixed and rip her stitches open.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'd suggest, if at all possible, can you keep him contained until after the spays are done and healed?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he just playing rough, maybe? Biting of back ends is fairly common in rough play and I've never heard of it being done during mating rituals. How do the girls respond when he does it?

Anyway, yes, I'd also recommend keeping them separated from the other cats after surgery, until they're reasonably healed. 10-14 days, usually.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'd suggest, if at all possible, can you keep him contained until after the spays are done and healed?
Is he just playing rough, maybe? Biting of back ends is fairly common in rough play and I've never heard of it being done during mating rituals. How do the girls respond when he does it?

Anyway, yes, I'd also recommend keeping them separated from the other cats after surgery, until they're reasonably healed. 10-14 days, usually.
We can keep them separated until they heal but I just worried it would make him more aggressive towards them.

He'll chase them down and bite them, he did some damage to one of the girls genital which required us to rush her to the after-hours vet for stitches. When he gets them they scream and hiss as well as trying to fight back.

Last night he did this to one of the girls and kept us awake 40 minutes trying to keep him off her. No matter what we did he came running back to go across us to attack her.

At first my roommate thought it was a jealousy thing but even if you spend more time with him he still attacks them.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep them separated, please. After the spay incisions heal, then you can carefully see if his behavior has changed with them, but this can't continue.

Never mind the actual physical harm he's doing, the stress factor for the victim kitties is off the chart, and is also bad for their emotional as well as physical health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep them separated, please. After the spay incisions heal, then you can carefully see if his behavior has changed with them, but this can't continue.

Never mind the actual physical harm he's doing, the stress factor for the victim kitties is off the chart, and is also bad for their emotional as well as physical health.
I've talked to everyone and we're going to keep him upstairs and the rest down when they're fixed. The other males can go hang with him but the girls will stay down stairs.

Hopefully, it'll help and when they're all healed we'll see how he is.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good for you!! Hang in there, I'm sending lots of heal-fast, and behave yourself silly boy from now on!!, thoughts!

Last edited: