"Fixed" cats mock "mating" behavior.....a problem??

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi.  Our 4 cat family gets along well for the most part.  Our newest addition Lucy (6 years, spayed as an adult after having kittens) was befriended quickly (after an isolation period) by our Eko (2 years, neutered at 4 months.)  She is also friendly with our other male cat (Leo, 2 years, neutered) and Emily (2 years, spayed.)  

Eko likes to "make kittens" with Lucy.  He gets on top of her, bites her neck (must not be too hard because it takes a while for her to even react sometimes) and makes biscuits with his back legs (not really humping and clearly not knowing all that is involved with the process.)  I wasn't too worried about it at first....I'd just clap and distract him....but it is happening mutliple times per day now and he won't be distracted.  The funny thing is...I can't really tell if Lucy is bothered by it.  She yowls a bit (which is typical for a female when mating, right?) and "fights back" by biting Eko's ears to get him off her.  She occasionally hisses and swats him if he was being really persistent.  They are still really friendly with each other and Lucy seems to want to be near him even right after these incidents.  She doesn't avoid him at all.  

Another interesting clue....our other male, Leo, plays sheriff around here.  He is always on the spot if Eko is playing too rough with one of the girls....all it takes is his body language to get Eko to quit.  Now, Leo and Eko are good friends and snuggle buddies...so it's not like Leo is a tyrant or anything.  He just "polices" skirmishes between cats and keeps the peace.  Interestingly, he lays right there while this is going on and does nothing.   Could this indicate that he knows it is no biggie?  He heard Lucy screech at Emily today and came in the room with his tail puffed up (funny, because he doesn't know who to blame if the girls "fight"...which is usually mild and silent anyways.)  But he doesn't react to Lucy's yowls during this mock mating.  

I just would love some input on whether I should be intervening here.  I'm usually pretty hands off because the most intervention that has ever been needed by me is the occasional distracting of the kitties when tensions rise.  They are a pretty nonviolent friendly group.  We do keep a feliway diffuser going and I spray the living room with calming spray if tensions seem high.  

Do you think this is a problem?   

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I love the description of the cat dynamics!  Leo the resident police-cat

When Lucy hisses and swipes him, does he back off? 

I really don't know what is going on, never having had a humping or even semi-humping cat....   I did notice a thread from a while back:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/77896/humping-problem-and-common-causes

I don't have time, I'm sorry, to check it out, but it may be interesting.

Hopefully someone will have some more substantial answers for you...

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Mani.  I read through that thread.  It mostly is about blanket humping, but it was still good to read.  I learned that blowing a cat's face is a good way to get them to stop something like that.  I also noticed a lot of cats start the behavior around the 2-4 yr old range. 
When Lucy hisses and swipes him, does he back off? 
He does, but it is after she has gotten him off her by squirming and biting his ears....so it is a natural time for him to back off anyways.

I'm still a little confused on whether to intervene and how.  I hate to complicate things by making a bigger deal out of it than it is.  But I just hate for her to get stressed about it or have it affect their friendship.  Hoping others will chime in today.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would like to say something to help, but since my 5 are all ladies, I have no reference other than googling the subject.  Observe them and see if Lucy starts showing signs of stress.

Leo the police-cat sounds like he does what Silly and Julie do.  When Sugar and Spice get to playing rough enough one of them squalls, Julie runs to see what is going on and Silly is right behind her.

faecat13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you spay cats/dogs as adults they dont lose the urge. Kittens are spayed before they get their urge and never make the "action" you speak of. your male cat may not know what the heck he is doing, but he is being driven by urges that already exist. As long as he doesnt hurt your girl cats I dont see a problem. You can get a can of air from the computer store (the one used to clean key boards) and blast air at him if you are uncomfertable with the behavior. 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If this is the only unusual behavior I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If the mounting escalates, I think a vet check is in order.  Something medical may be off with his hormones.