Fixed Cat Trying To Hump?

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my cat in the profile is 4 years old now hes been fixed since he was 8 months old and all sudden last 2 days 2 dif times i see him trying to hold down one of my males whos 10 months old and hump him trying to get him at his neck lol

id think it would be the other way around given the 10 month old isnt fixed and gets erections all the time and has started trying to spray is this normal in fixed cats or is my boy a weirdo

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
No, he's not a weirdo.

;)

Humping and scruffing can be about dominance, it's not always about sex. He's trying to show the younger cat that he is the boss.

Are you able to get the other cat fixed too? They'll get along much better if they are both neutered. Intact males become more and more aggressive as they age, so the two of them could end up getting into fights.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well they already get along great the 10 month old has known the 4 yearold since he was a baby always looked up to him they wrestle all day and have a good relationship but yes when i get more money saved ill get him fixed atm i cant

also it could be due to the fact i just moved 2 weeks ago into new home and i cant let them outside so they have to stay inside my 1 bedroom apt no awesome outside big yard full of tall weeds to run and play through i feel bad for them but least now the are getting closer this way being forced to be with each other

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes the move most likely has something to do with it, your older cat is unsure and scared so is trying to establish where he is in the heirarchy of the new unfamiliar surroundings. He may be getting stimulated too by the smells coming from a unneutered tom.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The young tom is reaching maturity, so the older cat just wants to remind him who's boss. But that won't last for long if the younger one isn't neutered soon, and they'll start fighting for real, so do try to get it done soon.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a neutered male that humped his whole life (mostly pillows and arm rests), he passed at 18. It was a territorial thing for him, and he was neutered young, so I don't even want to know how he would have been if he had the chance to experience all his man hormones!!!LOL!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The young tom is reaching maturity, so the older cat just wants to remind him who's boss. But that won't last for long if the younger one isn't neutered soon, and they'll start fighting for real, so do try to get it done soon.
really hes always loved him though the smaller one looked up to him like his dad and greatly respects him my bigger one isnt a mean cat hes very laid back not mean they get along great i couldnt see the smaller one trying to really hurt him in the future but yes if it starts to happen then ill get him fixed asap

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's not that they are mean, it's that they are driven crazy by their hormones. They don't want to hurt each other, but once a male cat fully matures all he thinks of is getting out to find a mate, which means he may take off and go missing for weeks at a time, or driving off any cat that isn't a potential mate. This means any male, fixed or not, and even spayed female cats.

If you could get him fixed now you'll avoid a lot of problems. One of my male cats bit his brother so badly the brother needed stitches and antibiotics. He was only 8 months old but I was a bit late getting him fixed. Once he'd been neutered he settled down and they were great friends again.

Did you say the younger male has already started spraying indoors? If he has that's a sign that now is the time to get him neutered. Do you need help finding a low cost clinic in your area? We'd be happy to suggest a cheap clinic if you need one.

:)