Five Most Memorable Concerts

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok...so we have a thread going about picking 6 bands for your dream concert. Let's keep that thread going and add a related thread.

For this thread, list the 5 most memorable concerts you have ever attended, and describe what made them so memorable to you.

My 5 most memorable concerts are:
1. Attended 2 of 4 Cream reunion shows at Royal Albert Hall in London in May 2005. I became a fan of Cream a little too late to see them before they broke up in 1968. I have played drums in bands that did many covers of Cream songs. In 2005 I finally got to see my heroes.

2. In 1981 the Philip Glass Ensemble performed on 4 nights in one week at the NY Town Hall. A friend and I attended 3 of those 4 nights. At that time, the Ensemble was performing his earlier "minimalist" pieces as well as premiering the full length version of his opera Einstein on the Beach. His music sounds simple, but it is incredibly challenging to play in an ensemble setting.

3. The Allman Brothers Band performed at South Mountain Arena in West Orange, NJ in May 1971. They were not the headliners. The first band was Edgar Winter's White Trash, then the Allman Brothers, and the headline act was Buddy Miles. The Allman Brothers had just recorded their historic Live at Fillmore East album a couple of months prior to this concert, and it had not yet been released. I had never heard them before. What an amazing set they played.

4. Rory Gallagher was a rock/blues guitarist from Ireland. In August of 1974 he played at a small club in Parsippany, NJ called the Joint in the Woods. The warm-up act was Status Quo who really got the crowd wound up. Rory Gallagher proceeded to tear the place up. He and his band were tight. And, he just kept playing. He came back for 3 encores. He played for about 3 hours.

5. I saw Pink Floyd at the Music Hall in Boston in 1973. Dark Side of the Moon had been released shortly before the concert. For their first set they played older material like Careful with that Axe Eugene, Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, and Echoes. It would have been a great concert if it had ended after that first set. They took a break and came back on stage and performed Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety. They had a quadraphonic PA system (first concert I had ever attended with a quad PA). As the sound swirled around the Music Hall, you could hear the entire crowd go "Woa." What a night!

Sorry my post is so long. But, when people rate or rank things, I like to hear a bit about the reasons for the rating/ranking.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only ever been to 3 concerts.
The first was Our Lady Peace. I was 15 and my dad said I couldn't go, but I went anyway. Of course my dad found out, and I got grounded. But it was worth it. I'll admit, when they started playing Naveed, I got choked up.

The second I've ever been to was when my husband and I got free tickets to go to the CMT Music festival. The two major headliners were Lady Antebellum and Rascal Flatts. It was a weekend event and our suite was fantastic. We got a deal because we were attending the festival, there's no way we would have spent that kind of money full price, but it was a nice getaway. And I bought a cowboy hat too!

The third I went to was for my husband. Motley Crew came to our town, and he REALLY wanted to go. It was my birthday yet we did what he wanted :rolleyes2:, oh well, when Tommy Lee did his drumming solo on that circle thing where he goes upside down, it was super cool! I'm not a huge fan of Motley Crew, but I do love drums.

And this next one is not a concert per se, but Riverdance came to my city a several years back. IT WAS AMAZING!!!!! The music, the dancing, the thunder from their perfectly timed feet. I had chills the whole time! I can only imagine what it would have been like in a large theater with the full cast of performers like you see on the TV/movie version.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lynyrd Skynyrd- They might not look all fancy with their beards & long hair, but these guys are the best live band I ever heard. I guess it's not the original guys? I think it's his brother, but they sound just like them. Saw them at NY State Fair in Syracuse

Bon Jovi- saw them in Montreal & Ottawa. Just because the songs are easy to sing along to and Jon is easy on the eyes.

Brooks & Dunn- They put on a great show and I love their music, the words just move me. Saw them in Syracuse & in Ottawa

John Mellencamp- Saw him in Ottawa. I've loved his songs since I was a kid and he has the best band. They even had violins, tambourines, and maracas.

Dave Matthews Band- Saw them in Ottawa. It was awesome hearing "Crash Into Me" live.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I forgot Def Leppard! Can I have 6? These guys sound even better live than on their cds. I'll never forget it. I got beer poured on me by some drunk guys, but I didn't care. Saw them in Syracuse.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
  1. The Who - legendary live group and when I saw them in 1976 they were at the top of their game. Great concert! A concert I would like to relive over...and over. Saw them years later and they were good, but did not equal that show. Also, they had the first laser light show I had ever seen.
  2. Peter, Paul and Mary, 1965 - They were so tight and polished! Another great concert! I was blown away and I have been a fan ever since.
  3. Allman Brothers Band - I saw them about 10 times - 6 times at one rock festival - and they were always exciting, but the best was Atlanta in 1970, with Joe Cocker as the opening act.
  4. The Temptations - Great live show! Truly professionals, great performers and a great band. I was in high school and it was riveting! I took someone from the New York City area. She said it was almost impossible to get tickets to a concert like that where she lived because of the incredible demand.
  5. The Beach Boys - I was in high school for this one, too. They were sooo good and I was a big fan. They were better musicians than I might have given them credit for. Of course, Brian Wilson's bass playing is very special. I remember who I went with, but she is mainly memorable because she had a really cool name!
Bob Dylan with The Band, Led Zeppelin, Frank Zappa and others, for one reason or another, just did not measure up to these.

Great thread! This has brought up some fun memories!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
The Who-need I say more? 1972
Stones-1972 Best ever, I lost a shoe,,,was on some guy;s shoulders and Mick was throwing rose petals
Rod Stewart-can't remember the year
Jethro Tull
The Temptations

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only been to 2 concerts in my life, so yeah... My first one was Josh Groban. I went with my mom and we got to sit the entire time (we both liked that). My second concert was She & Him at First Avenue in Minneapolis and that is a standing room type venue, so after working an 8-hour cashiering shift of being on my feet the entire time, being on my feet for a 2-hour concert was kinda hard.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm afraid nobody will know some of the people/bands I'm going to mention LOL but I'm in! I'm going with those that were not only incredibly memorable but musically life changing for me in some way.

1. Patti Smith, some time around 1977 or 1978 in a smallish venue on the college campus I went to. From the moment the black and white Mapplethorpe film of her came on, with her spouting poetry I was mesmerized and have been since.
2. The B'52's - same time period. When they were first starting out, making the circuits in small college rooms. SO much fun! I don't think there's every been another group that gives me as much glee to see as they do.
3. Laurie Anderson 1983. Done in 2 parts at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, went to both nights. Mind blowing. Gave me a lot to think about in regards to all aspects of life.
4. The Who, some time in the 80's right after that the concert when someone got trampled to death. We saw them in Philly. For shear over the top good rock and roll where you could sing along to every song, this was it.
5. Radiohead. Any of the many times I've seen them have been impossibly wonderful but if I had to pick just one, the concert for the tour of OK Computer in NYC around, ummm, 1995-1996 or so, was hypnotic and intense. I hate standing for music usually, but did not mind on this mind because I was so immersed in the entire experience of it that I didn't even notice the time going by.

Going to add a #6 only because I see so few concerts these days - I really dislike being in large arenas at my age unless I have excellent seats, and geez tickets have gotten to be so expensive. But, my husband and I do go now and then if the band is someone we really both really really want to see. In the past few years we've been on a kick to catch up on some of those bands we both loved when young that we hadn't seen in a long while. Got to see Jethro Tull, Yes, King Crimson and Rush - all of which were great shows. King Crimson and Rush in particular was SO fantastic, and we had very good seats for both of those. Rush, I probably enjoyed the most, they really put on a great show and involve the audience a lot and I mean Neil Peart, come on!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Got to see Jethro Tull, Yes, King Crimson and Rush - all of which were great shows. King Crimson and Rush in particular was SO fantastic, and we had very good seats for both of those. Rush, I probably enjoyed the most, they really put on a great show and involve the audience a lot and I mean Neil Peart, come on!
I bet that was amazing! :clap:

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have not been to a lot of concerts but here are my 3 best ones.

Emmylou Harris at a live outdoor concert in St. Paul, Mn
Eric Clapton at Norfolk Auditorium in 1975.
Lynyrd Skynyrd In NC (the originals prior to the plane crash)

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
The Who-need I say more? 1972
Stones-1972 Best ever, I lost a shoe,,,was on some guy;s shoulders and Mick was throwing rose petals
Rod Stewart-can't remember the year
Jethro Tull
The Temptations
I never posted why the concerts were so memorable. The Who played their songs, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again, etc. We had great seats and were seniors in high school. Our parents felt it safe because there were about 7 of us. I still think of that concert.

The Stones started off bad; Stevie Wonder opened for them and he was amazing, then someone thru a can of beer at a policeman and Stevie was shut down. We were tear-gassed because so many people were throwing beer at the police. I thought I was blinded and was confused till the guy I was with told me what happened. We waited an hour, they were threatening to stop the show.

Then the stage darkened and Mick came out in a black top-hat and cane, said "Hello Akron!" and went right into Jumpin' Jack Flash. Oh, what a night it was.
I can still remember what I was wearing. At the end as I posted before I was close to the stage on some guy's shoulders, not the guy I came with ha!, lost a shoe, and was trying to catch rose petals that Mick was throwing.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I almost forgot the best one!
Carlos Santana at an outdoor concert in Chicago. A thunderstorm rolled in and he kept playing! We got soaked but, WOW!

I am getting senile if I forgot this one! LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I remember when concert tickets were $20-$30. Those days are gone forever!
For the first concert I ever attended, my friend and I each saved our money to afford $5.00 concert tickets to see the Dave Clark Five in 1965. We were 12 years old. We couldn't even hear them because of all the screaming teen-age girls.:eek:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid nobody will know some of the people/bands I'm going to mention LOL but I'm in! I'm going with those that were not only incredibly memorable but musically life changing for me in some way.

1. Patti Smith, some time around 1977 or 1978 in a smallish venue on the college campus I went to. From the moment the black and white Mapplethorpe film of her came on, with her spouting poetry I was mesmerized and have been since.
4. The Who, some time in the 80's right after that the concert when someone got trampled to death. We saw them in Philly. For shear over the top good rock and roll where you could sing along to every song, this was it.
The bass player in a band that I was in managed a singer who was similar to Patti Smith. Patti Smith apparently was a fan of hers. My friend wound up playing bass for Patti Smith at some of her gigs.

I saw the the Who at Boston Garden in December 1973. They had played in Montreal the previous evening and apparently had trashed their hotel room. They spent the next morning in jail in Montreal. They barely made it to Boston in time for the show. Roger Daltrey had some not so nice words about the Montreal police. Unfortunately, they were not in top form; it was not a very good concert.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only concerts that I can remember going to was Rod Stewart and Elton John. I am not a big music person but I enjoyed them both. I would have loved to see the Beatles but I never got that chance. I would still love to see Paul and Ringo.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
The best was probably Queen (Freddie Mercury was still alive) with Billy Squier as the opener. Outstanding, and Billy was almost better than Queen! Post-Eagles Don Henley was a terrific concert, too.

And I loved the Judy Collins outdoor concert. Everyone sat on blankets on the grass. She took a deep breath at the beginning of one song and went into a coughing fit. “I’m so sorry,” she said. “I swallowed a bug!” :lol:

I wish I remembered Loggins & Messina at Blossom (in Ohio) my senior year of college because I love “House at Pooh Corner,” but I was...um...too...um...relaxed. Yes, that’s it. Relaxed. Ah, the ‘70s.