Five Day Old Kitten

lorrainexo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On Sunday I found a couple of very newborn kittens born beside the garages out the back of my house, one was already dead and stone cold and the other was still alive, just. I've taken it in and it currently seems to be doing, okay. It must be about five days at a guess now.

We've been keeping it warm and feeding it the advised amounts of formula suggested, but I'm starting to get really worried about it, I don't know if it's because I've become so vigilant and invested in it, or that I should be concerned.

So, I've got a couple of questions, firstly it still has it's umbilical cord attached, but earlier today it must have got it's claw caught in it and it started to bleed... I'm worried about the possibility of infection, I've dabbed salt water around the small wound, is that suitable and enough to keep the wound healthy?

Secondly, yesterday it pooped and it was a pretty firm mustardy colour but today, it's verging on diarrhea and is a yellowy colour... should I be worried? What can I do to improve it?

For the most part, it's pretty lively, when being fed it just never keeps still and it eats well and sleeps well, but I'm just constantly thinking I'm not doing enough for it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorrainexo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A hearty welcome to you and the little one. Please clarify if the umbilical cord has completely come off.
Thank you! And no, it hasn't. It seems to have just pulled where it connects to the stomach and has bled from there, not massive amounts and it seems to have dried and is not continuing to bleed

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully it will dry out and fall without causing an infection. You can then disinfect the area where it was sealing off on the skin with some salty water as you have been doing. Please keep in touch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorrainexo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten has now turned three weeks! Things seem to be going okay, very lively and loud and has a very healthy appetite! Currently having a little trouble with constipation, but I've started diluting the powder formula and introduced goats milk to see if it helps? Thank you :)