Fiv Positive Cat And Vaccines

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my kitties, Mr. Crispy, has tested positive for FIV. He's only ever had his rabies vaccine. I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with FIV+ cats and vaccinations? He is an indoor/outdoor kitty, but only in his fenced yard. He lives with the rest of my cats whom happen to be related to him either directly or indirectly. So at this point, I don't see it reasonable to test each cat as they most likely have it. I recently lost his brother to FeLV. I've not ever had cats with this sort of illness before so its been a bit of a learning curve. We would greatly appreciate any advice.

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

I love cats but I'm not lonely
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about vaccines for just FIV, but he does have to get distemper shots.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our FIV+ cat is strictly an indoor cat, and doesn't have any contact with our other cat. So he just gets the PureVax vaccine (because rabies vaccinations are required where we live), and the FVRCP vaccine, which covers feline rhinotracheitis virus, calicivirus, and panleukopenia.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our FIV+ cat is strictly an indoor cat, and doesn't have any contact with our other cat. So he just gets the PureVax vaccine (because rabies vaccinations are required where we live), and the FVRCP vaccine, which covers feline rhinotracheitis virus, calicivirus, and panleukopenia.

Has he done well with the FVRCP? Do you know if your kitty got the live or not live version of it?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he done well with the FVRCP? Do you know if your kitty got the live or not live version of it?
Well, the vaccines didn't make Buddy any sicker, so that's 'doing well' in our book. :wink:

The vet recommended that Buddy not get the live version because of the FIV and all of his other health issues.