FIV Diagnosis

Stereorockchic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I have a colony of former feral cats that I look after, and a new cat joined last summer. He's an older cat, was very friendly and obviously someone's lost pet. I put him on facebook but sadly never found his home.
He is happy now with me and I have neutered and chipped him and he lives mostly indoors now. He was a little ill last week so I brought him to the vets and got bloods done, including FELV and FIV. His FIV has come back positive. He's in good health otherwise. However I have 8 other cats in the household and im worrying about transmission. I've never had a proper cat fight, they're all pretty chill and used to each other. The other cats have not been tested (because the rest of them are proper former ferals and would have to be trapped and sedated for a vet examination).
Does anyone have any experience with FIV cats or advice for having FIV cats live with non FIV cats? I wont be giving anyone up unless I absolutely have to, but dont want to put the other cats at risk either.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Until other members come along to respond, see this earlier thread about FIV+ and FIV- cats living together. It seems very doable! There are additional links for more input in this thread link (see below) - and many of the members are still active on this site. I am sure you will be hearing from them soon! Hats off to you for what you have given this cat!!!! :worship:
FIV+ & FIV- Living Together? | TheCatSite

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was it confirmed via IFA test or quant pcr test? If not I would get the done. Tons of false positives with the snap test, especially if it wasn't just the duo and was the triple one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stereorockchic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Until other members come along to respond, see this earlier thread about FIV+ and FIV- cats living together. It seems very doable! There are additional links for more input in this thread link (see below) - and many of the members are still active on this site. I am sure you will be hearing from them soon! Hats off to you for what you have given this cat!!!! :worship:
FIV+ & FIV- Living Together? | TheCatSite
Thanks very much, will check the links out :thanks:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stereorockchic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was it confirmed via IFA test or quant pcr test? If not I would get the done. Tons of false positives with the snap test, especially if it wasn't just the duo and was the triple one.
I have no idea. I couldnt even go into the vets surgery due to covid, they took him from me at the front door and gave hik back when they were finished. They never specified how they tested, just that they would test for FELV and FIV with the normal blood panel.
I didnt know there were so many false positives, might get them to rerun the test in a few months. Thanks!