FIV+ diagnosed with stomatitis, ended up being staph

ErinEC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you take anything from this, it's that you need to get a culture of your cat's mouth if you have any doubts about a stomatitis diagnosis. Especially if your cat is fiv+ and immunosuppresants are recommended.

Our cat started to tilt her head while she ate and pawed her mouth a bit, so we took her to the vet because she had a history of resorptive lesions and stomatitis along the gumline. We could see some inflammation and white spots on the roof of her mouth (gums were fine). She'd had two prior surgeries to remove all but the front teeth and one molar for pretty straightforward stomatitis/resorptive lesions in years prior. Vet recommended removing the remaining molar, did nothing. Fast forward a few months, she is really struggling to eat, so they recommended Cyclosporine, even though she was FIV+. She gets Virbagen Omega injections, and prior to that T-Cyte, so has stayed quite healthy her whole life, so the vet felt comfortable trying an immunosuppressant. Did nothing after 60 days. Few weeks later she couldn't even eat, was growling at her food and running away, so vet recommended a full mouth extraction.

Did nothing. Vet said next step is prednisone. I asked if that was basically palliative care at that point and he said yes. I had a huge problem with this because she was not sick, very much had a will to live, she just couldn't eat.

I had one hail mary left, and it was because her normal, local, vet doesn't supply her Virbagen (comes from Europe), so she also sees a vet a few hours away who helps us with that part of her care. I contacted them and asked if we could try upping her Virbagen frequency, if it would help her immune system, and their response was to ask what the cultures of her mouth came back as. I explained the situation, sent her recent records, and also told them that no one had suggested a culture, and they were dumbfounded.

We ended up taking the trip all the way there so they could do a full mouth and throat exam and cultures. While our cat was under they also did x rays and found a huge root that was left and extracted it. Two weeks later, we got the cultures back, and it turns out for the entire year we've been dealing with this it was not stomatitis at all, but three different types of staph infection. One being very resistant to antibiotics, most likely because of the 60 days she was on Cyclosporine.

We couldn't believe it.

She had seen 5 different vets at the local practice, and they were all in agreement on these extraction and immunosuppressant treatments throughout the process. Every time we'd go, I'd bring up the fact that when I look in her mouth at this inflammation with white spots it never matches what you see when you google stomatitis, and they'd say that it can appear in many different forms. My gut kept telling me otherwise, but I had to trust the doctors. Thank god for our second opinion before starting prednisone. The staph would have taken over and probably killed her.

She will be starting antibiotics, and our fingers are crossed that this is the end of this story. Our poor little girl went through 3 rounds of extractions, months of drugs, and just so much pain. For two months, she's been on buprenorphine and gabapentin so that she can get some food down without screaming. Do your research, listen to your gut, and don't be afraid to get a second opinion.

Also, I have pictures of the inside of her mouth if anyone needs a reference for what staph looks like vs stomatitis. Will upload if you want to see. Keep your fingers crossed for what is hopefully a quick recovery!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
E ErinEC I am so sorry your little girl went through all of that unnecessary treatments. It is all because of the vets not listening to you. I hate when this happens. Honestly, it happens all too often. I think vets just think we as pet owners are uneducated and that the vets know what they are dealing with because of the schooling, etc.
It is really sad that all of this could have been avoided if they would have just took a better look. Then upon further inspection they would be able to see that it was infact not stomatitis.

I actually just recently changed vets for this same reason plus her bedside manner was horrible. I must say when we had our first appointment with the new vet for a "sick" appointment we fell inlove with the Dr. She is kind, and listens to my concerns.

I hope you can find another vet for your baby if not I think it might be best for her to travel to the vet farther away from now on. At least they listen to you and they investigate more to really know what things could be.

I don't know what staph or stomatitis is or looks like but I can't imagine how much pain your little girl went through. Especially the extractions.

She is in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. Hopefully the medicine she is on will start kicking the staphs butt.

Please keep us posted on her progress.

BTW, what is her name and how old is she?

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is quite a shocking story about how your cat was given Cyclosporine in the first place. I understand what the first vet was thinking, but having dealt with a dog with an immune system problem I know how quickly it can all disintegrate.

You really did save her life by being as proactive as you were. I have found that vets in the same practice tend to think alike, with a few exceptions, and that going to another practice entirely is often the solution.

Thank you for alerting us to this and I hope that your little girl makes a full recovery. Please let us know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ErinEC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for all your support! Messy is grateful for everyone's well wishes! We will let you know how everything turns out.
Btw, she just turned 12. Here's a silly pic of her:

20230811_155600.jpg