Fiv Cats

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, we have two two year old cats that are FIV positive. we have two older cats that are not. I don't think my vet has ever adequately explained what we can expect as far as their life expectancy and quality. I was wondering if there was anyone out there that can share their experiences, good or bad. thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry about your two kitties. I have no experience with FIV, but I have read other posts on this site from members who do. So, over the course of the day other members will have a chance to log on and see your post and offer their first hand experiences.

In the meantime, although I imagine you have already read tons of articles about FIV, I will still go ahead and provide a couple of links to information about it.

Understanding FIV in Cats

Feline Immunodeficiency Virus

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, unless there is a fight involving a deep bite, your FIV negative cats will be perfectly safe. It is not easily communicable.

Second, it could be years before your infected cats show any symptoms of the virus. I can tell you that stress is a big factor in flare-ups, so you want to keep their environment as calm as possible...which isn't bad for the uninfected cats OR the humans in the home either!

Here's an excellent article about FIV from Cornell, and these guys know their stuff!

Feline Immunodeficiency Virus