"Fish!!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well for heaven's sake! When I pick up the foster kittens at the vet, the past two times they specifically told me to feed them only dry food.

These are vets! What is up with them?

Now, one thing I will want to review is what wet food to feed. If this is the main of her diet I will want to give a better brand, probably, than the "Special Kitty" cheap stuff, right?

Someone mentioned IAMS in another thread...

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vik61

Well for heaven's sake! When I pick up the foster kittens at the vet, the past two times they specifically told me to feed them only dry food.

These are vets! What is up with them?

Now, one thing I will want to review is what wet food to feed. If this is the main of her diet I will want to give a better brand, probably, than the "Special Kitty" cheap stuff, right?

Someone mentioned IAMS in another thread...
Unfortunately "most" vets do not get much in the way of education regarding nutrition. The younger/newer vets are becoming more savvy but it may take time. Dry food (IMO) is more like cereal and can cause kitties to get fat. A wet food diet is far better for your kitty as well because cats tend not to drink a lot of water.

When I got smarter and started adding wet food to our babies diets, I went to our local pet store and picked out about 6 different brands with no by-products (Nutro, Wellness, Merrick, Natural Balance and I forget the others right now) and bought 2 of each. I asked the cashier if I could bring back any unopened cans as I was trying to find out which brand they would like. She assured me they would take them back as long as I had my receipt.

Turned out ours would only eat the Merrick. Merrick is a good food (looks and smells good enough for us to eat). Our kitties will not eat any food with fish in it so we feed Granny's Pot Pie and Thanksgiving Dinner.