Fish tongue nutrient content

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all! Slightly weird question, I know! The place I normally order my ocean-caught fish from has recently added cod tongue to their listings. As I'm able to only give my cat fresh salmon or other wild-caught fish around twice a month (and she does enjoy seafood when I'm able to give it to her), I'd love to supplement her diet in a more affordable way. I'm struggling to find any info on how the nutrient content would compare to the more typical muscle meat of the fish, mainly in terms of fatty acids. Presumably it would be similarly nutritious?

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tongue is a muscle. I would expect it to have similar nutrition content to muscle meat rather than organ meat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Tongue is a muscle. I would expect it to have similar nutrition content to muscle meat rather than organ meat.
That was my thought, as well. Just wanted an outside opinion, so thank you for getting back to me! I'll be feeding as a separate treat, rather than as an addition to her usual raw mixtures (so she can enjoy it rather than barely taste it, more or less), but I wanted to be sure just in case, since I do offer her dehydrated organs as treats for training -- too much organ in her diet tends to give her a bad tum.