Fish/Plant Bowl

nullentropy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so I have some gorgeous Lucky Bamboo, and I bought a nice large "Vase" for it, and I'd like to put a Betta fish in there as well. My question is this: How do I prevent the cats from messing with it/knocking it over? Has anyone had any success with this?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
It's impossible for me to keep plants away from my cats (One of them actually ate the pothos I had left in my bathroom, trying to grow roots from a shoot, and I didn't think they'd get at it!)

But for bettas, I find my cats tend to get bored with them and leave them alone after a few days

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nullentropy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Smokey was playing with the Plant and kncoked over the original vase (grrr) but since the new vase is larger and heavier, I don't think it'll knock as easily. I guess I'll try it, and worst case I'll end up with a betta at work lol

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No :lol3:. Of course anything in my house gets knocked over/pawed/messed with somehow :tongue2:. The best think I could suggest is to get a sturdy rectangular aquarium with a lid, that way it won't knock over very easily, and the cats couldn't reach in.

Other options would be to keep it up high where the cats can't jump, or inside a glass-front cabinet.

I'm also not really a fan of Bettas in vases. Most aren't big enough (I like at least 3 gallons for a Betta), heated, filtered, or clean enough :/. But a nice planted aquarium is always pretty.

nullentropy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bettas do best in unfiltered water, as the current is disruptive and actually dangerous for them. I do plan to get a tiny little heater for it.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to have a tank from the TV show Fish Tank. I love the different shapes they come up with.

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd be sure to fashion a lid for it as betta are good at jumping out and onto the floor, the bigger the tank the better for the fish as well.

nullentropy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's a nice lip so that even if the Betta were to jump, he couldn't get out. I also plan to pick up a larger desk aquarium, since the vase is smaller than I realized.